Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

Fetch data from Content Fragment and render in json script via HTML

Level 5

Hi,

My requirement is to get the data from the content fragment multifield and then show those in a particular manner. 

Here's the desired result :

arindam6600_0-1713780786501.png

In the backend I am getting the data from the Content Fragment and then splitting the array based on delimiter and subsequently creating a JSON array. Once the array is created, I've converted that to an array list. Here's the backend code :

private String[] openingHoursDays;
public String[] splitArray;
JSONObject jsonObject = new JSONObject();
JSONArray jsonArray = new JSONArray();
@PostConstruct
    private void initModel() {
        Resource fragmentResource = null;
        if (fragmentResource != null) {
         ContentFragment fragment = fragmentResource.adaptTo(ContentFragment.class);
         if(fragment.getElement("openingHoursDays").getContent() !=null) {
            	openingHoursDays = fragment.getElement("openingHoursDays").getValue().getValue(String[].class);
            }
       }
    }

public String[] getOpeningHoursDays( ) {
    	return openingHoursDays;
    }

public ArrayList<String> getSplitArray() {
	   for (int i = 0; i < openingHoursDays.length; i++) {
           splitArray = openingHoursDays[i].split("-"); //splitting the array based on delimiter (-)
			try {
				jsonObject.put("@type:", "OpeningHoursSpecification"); //creating the JSON objects
				jsonObject.put("dayOfWeek", splitArray[i]); //creating the JSON objects at index 0
		        jsonObject.put("opens", splitArray[i+1]); //creating the JSON objects at index 1
		        jsonObject.put("closes", splitArray[i+2]); //creating the JSON objects at index 2
			} catch (JSONException e) {	
				LOGGER.info("Unable to create JSON object");
			}
			jsonArray.put(jsonObject); //creating the JSON array from the JSON objects
   }
	   ArrayList<String> listdata = new ArrayList<String>(); //For storing the data from JSON array in an array list
	   if (jsonArray != null) {
	   for (int m=0;m<jsonArray.length();m++){
	   try {
		listdata.add(jsonArray.getString(m)); //Add JSON array data to the list
	   	   } 
	   catch (JSONException e) {
		LOGGER.info("Unable to create Array List");
	     }
	   }
	  }
	   return listdata;
   }

Note : I have to display these data in the script (with the script type="application/ld+json").

Here's the content fragment for your reference :

arindam6600_5-1713781405121.png

I am unable to get hold of how to fetch the data in the HTML.

The error that I am getting is :
 org.apache.sling.scripting.sightly.render.ObjectModel Cannot access method splitArray on object sample.project.core.models.ContentInfoModel@57ef0ff9

Can someone please help me out with the code so as to be able to meet the requirements? Let me know if there any changes to the backend code and also how to fetch the values in the HTML (the values should be returned under the script with script type="application/ld+json")

Thanks!!

3 Replies

Level 4

Hi @arindam6600, if you are able to get the json via java why you are not utilizing it directly? You can make a servlet whose response will be the json. In the javascript, you can get the json data by hitting that servlet. Once you get the json data, use javascript to manipulate it in any way and make the desired HTML in the JS only using the HTML DOM methods.

Level 5

The requirement is such that I can't add any further code (files) for now. So the only way out is to get the data in the backend model and render it via some means in the frontend. That would require modification of the existing files and that's the only thing that is now allowed.

I'm also getting error : org.apache.sling.scripting.sightly.render.ObjectModel Cannot access method splitArray on object sample.project.core.models.ContentInfoModel@57ef0ff9
This is what I am unable to figure out why and how to rectify.

Community Advisor

Hello @arindam6600 

I am using the code similar as yours and its working.

String[] values= PageUtils.getPropertyArray(childPage, TagConstants.PN_TAGS).clone());
public static String[] getPropertyArray(final ContentFragment contentFragment, final String propertyName) {
if (contentFragment != null && contentFragment.hasElement(propertyName)) {
return contentFragment.getElement(propertyName).getValue().getValue(String[].class);
}
return EMPTY_STRING_ARRAY;
}

Please try printing these values before split. You should be able to retrieve them.

Next:

Please check this code, What happens when i=2?

jsonObject.put("dayOfWeek", splitArray[i]); //creating the JSON objects at index 0
		        jsonObject.put("opens", splitArray[i+1]); //creating the JSON objects at index 1
		        jsonObject.put("closes", splitArray[i+2]); //creating the JSON objects at index 2

Replace it with following and check

jsonObject.put("dayOfWeek", splitArray[0]); //creating the JSON objects at index 0
		        jsonObject.put("opens", splitArray[1]); //creating the JSON objects at index 1
		        jsonObject.put("closes", splitArray[2]); //creating the JSON objects at index 2

Aanchal Sikka