Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Exception occurred while trying to restore version of a page

Level 2

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to restore version on multiple pages.

I'm using :

pageManager.restore(pageToRestore.getPath(), revision.getId());

On some pages I got this issue :  

com.day.cq.wcm.api.WCMException: Unable to restore version.

at com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.page.PageManagerImpl.restore(PageManagerImpl.java:1178) [com.day.cq.wcm.cq-wcm-core:5.12.188]

Caused by: javax.jcr.nodetype.ConstraintViolationException: Property is protected: jcr:created = 2023-06-14T10:55:59.526Z

When I checked in the crx/de, this page has the jcr:created property marked as protected and auto created (On some other pages this property is not protected).

I tried to create a page from scratch with the interface and create / restore a version also with the interface and it works well whereas the property was also marked as protected ...

I don't understand why it is not working while using the pageManager.

Thanks a lot for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi everyone, as often in this situation, the issue was between the chair and the keyboard ....

I didn't notice that previously in my code I was updating the pages properties and I was updating the jcr:primaryType ... causin the issue.

Sorry to have lost your time and thanks a lot for your answers anyway.

Best !

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

In AEM, certain properties like jcr:created are marked as protected to ensure their integrity and consistency. These properties are typically auto-generated and managed by the system, and modifying them directly is restricted to maintain data integrity.

To resolve this issue when using pageManager.restore(), you can follow these steps:

1. Get the original jcr:created value of the page before attempting to restore the version.
  2. After restoring the version using pageManager.restore(), reset the jcr:created property to its original value obtained in step1.
Value originalCreatedValue = pageToRestore.getProperties().get("jcr:created");
try {
    // Restore the version
    // Reset the jcr:created property to its original value
    pageToRestore.setProperty("jcr:created", originalCreatedValue);
    // Save the changes
    pageManager.getSession().save();
} catch (WCMException e) {
    // Handle the exception
}

Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

The issue here is that the line 

is not working, because of the jcr:created property  

I go in the catch part directly  

Community Advisor

you have to remove the protection from the jcr:created property, then only you should be able to restore the version of the page successfully using the pageManager.restore() method.

Check if the page has the jcr:created property marked as protected. If it does, remove the protection before restoring the version:

Level 2

Sorry to ask this but I am not able to found out how to remove the protection on the property  

Do you have the technical documentation to use ?

Many thanks

Community Advisor

Hello @emiliec9783492 

The pages that are having issues with restore:

- have these been created via OOTB AEM Page creation ability?

- have their versions been created via OOTB AEM versioning ability?

- Are you able to restore them via OOTB AEM version restore?

Aanchal Sikka

Level 2

Hi @aanchal-sikka !

The pages have been created with the OOBgraphical interface.

Their versions have been created by code with pageManager :

pageManager.createRevision(pageWhichNeedRevision, revisionName,"" 

I am able to restore the version with the OOB graphical interface, but not by code with the page manager method  

Community Advisor

@emiliec9783492 

The code OOTB would also be 

Page page = pageManager.restore(pagePath, id);

1. Please see if the id that is being passed from UI and the one you are restoring are they same. Move between same versions.

2. Check the permissions of the user, whose session you are using. Try to provide all access to this user and try. For quick result add the user to administrators group and try. We will come to know, if its data issue or access issue

Aanchal Sikka

Level 2

I had great hope in your suggestion as I was using a session with a custom user ... howewer I tried to use :

try (final ResourceResolver resolver = resolverFactory.getAdministrativeResourceResolver(null)) {
    pageManager = resolver.adaptTo(PageManager.class); 

To be sure, and even with me being an admin, I still got the same issue

com.day.cq.wcm.api.WCMException: Unable to restore version.

Caused by: javax.jcr.nodetype.ConstraintViolationException: Property is protected: jcr:created = 2023-06-14T10:55:59.526Z

I really don't catch it >-<

Community Advisor

@emiliec9783492 

By default, jcr:created on Page node cannot be edited. Thus is protected and auto-created.

aanchalsikka_0-1686766575513.png

Same is in version node as well.

Are you facing issue, where the property is protected or available for edit (either in version/page)? Basically a mismatch of the Protected attribute.

Aanchal Sikka

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi everyone, as often in this situation, the issue was between the chair and the keyboard ....

I didn't notice that previously in my code I was updating the pages properties and I was updating the jcr:primaryType ... causin the issue.

Sorry to have lost your time and thanks a lot for your answers anyway.

Best !