Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!

Creating content fragment variation without master variation

Level 4

Hi All, 

Can I create a content fragment variation without using the default master variation?

kindly help, if anyone knows.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Employee Advisor

@Ameen_Dev 

Can you elaborate on usecase. If you don't have a master, what is the relevance of its variation

Level 4

Okay let me explain. First of all, I have created a content fragment with master variation that has English content. Now, I created another variation which I named it as fr and updated the French content. Again I need to create another variation not using the master but with fr because If I create the variation with master then once again I need to update the whole English content with French content which I don’t want to do. 

Employee Advisor

@Ameen_Dev 

Why don't you use Content Fragment Language Translation. Create language folders. For eg. Create en folder, and create english CF inside it. Create another folder, language node as fr. 

Just like OOTB way of translation, execute Translation on En folder and it will create its French version in fr folder. With this approach, you would have your own master for language versions. To create translations, please refer:https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-learn/sites/content-fragments/content-....

Community Advisor

@Ameen_Dev Masters in content fragments help keep content consistent and organized. It is meant to ensure that all content follows the same rules making sure content stays neat, consistent, and easy to manage.

Thus, OOTB they are the base variant for both CF and XF

Aanchal Sikka

Level 2

Hi @Ameen_Dev 

In AEM, creating a content fragment variation typically involves starting from a master variation. 

Typically, the master variation serves as a template or base from which other variations are derived. This helps maintain consistency and allows for easy management of variations.

In your situation, you can create a content fragment from the french variation you created.

Hope this helps!

Level 5

@Ameen_Dev It makes sense what @krati_garg responded for your particular use case to use translations instead of removing the Master.

Level 7

Hi @Ameen_Dev ,

Yes, you can create a content fragment variation without using the default master variation. Content fragments are typically structured in a master-detail relationship, where the master variation serves as the base template, and variations are created from it. However, depending on the content management system (CMS) or platform you're using, there may be ways to create variations directly without relying on a master.

Here's a general approach you can consider:

1. Direct Creation: Some CMS platforms allow you to create content fragments directly without having to go through a master variation. Explore the options within your CMS to see if there's a way to create standalone variations.

2. Customization: If your CMS supports it, you may be able to customize the creation process or templates to bypass the need for a master variation. This might involve custom development work or configuration changes, so consult your CMS documentation or reach out to your development team if necessary.

3. API Integration: If your CMS has an API, you may be able to programmatically create variations without needing a master. This approach requires some development effort but provides flexibility in how you manage your content.

4. Consult Documentation or Support: Finally, if you're unsure about the capabilities of your CMS or how to achieve this specific requirement, consult the official documentation or reach out to the support team for assistance. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific platform and requirements.

By exploring these options, you should be able to find a way to create content fragment variations without relying on a default master variation, depending on the capabilities of your CMS or platform.

Administrator

@Ameen_Dev Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni