Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Cloud vs ''On Premise'': PROs and CONs

Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an important project in which our client, a big manufacturing player, has chosen Adobe Experience Manager as a solution. They have to decide between an ''On Premise'' installation or a ''Cloud''.

I really need to have some direct feedback from someone in Adobe about PROs and CONs and main features on an ‘’On Premise’’ and a ‘’Cloud’’ installation of Adobe Experience Manager. So the objective is to have a clear overview of the advantages and disadvatages of both solutions in order to identify which is the most suitable option.

I have already called the customer service and sent e-mails but I haven't received any feedback yet.

Thank you in advance!

ET

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi,

In my experience (having worked with a number of different customers in that vertical and others), "Cloud" vs. "On-Premise" isn't really about the vertical but more about the corporate culture and project requirements. I've worked on multiple projects within the same automotive company which used different deployment models.

In terms of your second question, I would suggest reaching out to your partner account manager to figure out what the best case studies are for the specific customer and project.

Regards,

Justin

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

This is a typical industry question (not really specific to AEM ) and there is a lot of good information online. Here are a few good articles:

http://sysgen.ca/cloud-vs-in-house-servers/

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/biztools/the-pros-and-cons-of-cloud-computing.html

http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2013/04/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-cloud-computing-cloud-computing...

Data is a big consideration. For example - some companies want to keep their data within their network for security reasons as talked about in these articles. 

Level 2

Performance is the obvious big pro of cloud based approach over on-premise.

Say, If you are rendering out a video...  consider the performance from the cloud based approach vs on-premise.

Plus integration of that cloud integrated into the AEM platform OOTB can be simpler / easier than integrating with separate cloud service.

My team has been dealing with exactly these considerations...

Level 1

Thank you very much for your kind answer, really useful!!!

My focus is on the Automotive industry. I already found the case studies of the AEM Cloud adoption for Volkswagen and Audi, but there is no info on why they adopted a Cloud and not an ''On-Premise''.

From your experience: regarding the Automotive industry (and other similar Manufacturing industries):

1) which is the most preferred solution in these industries, ''Cloud'' or ''On-Premise''? Which is the main reason for that?

2) Do you know where I could find some more case studies for the mentioned industries?

Thank you very much again!!!

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi,

In my experience (having worked with a number of different customers in that vertical and others), "Cloud" vs. "On-Premise" isn't really about the vertical but more about the corporate culture and project requirements. I've worked on multiple projects within the same automotive company which used different deployment models.

In terms of your second question, I would suggest reaching out to your partner account manager to figure out what the best case studies are for the specific customer and project.

Regards,

Justin

Level 1

Hi Justin,

I agree about the different deployment models - you list project requirements as a decision-making driver: could you elaborate a bit? Examples are welcomed ;)

And based on your experience, how common do you think it is to have different deploying models in a same company (for large, multinational, market-oriented companies)?

Thanks

Roberto