Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Changes are rolling out even after breaking the inheritance in Experience fragment variation as a live copy.

Level 2

Hi Team,

I have a XF with two components component A and component B, where component A is common for all variations and component B can vary. so, i created a variation as live copy and broken the inheritance for component B but if i edit XF and roll out my changes then component B changes also rolling out from XF to variation.

Why is this happening? how to fix this?

I'm working on AEM as cloud service and version is 2023.9.13420.20230907T185228Z-230800.

Thanks,

Naveen.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Here are a few things you can @NavinT :

1. Check the Rollout Configurations, ensure that the rollout configurations are set correctly. If the ‘Push on modify’ trigger is enabled, any modifications to the source page will be pushed to the live copies. You might want to disable this trigger for your use case.

2. Use Overlays, instead of breaking the inheritance, you can try using overlays. Overlays allow you to customize the functionality of a component without breaking the inheritance.
    https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/release-notes/relea...

3. If the issue persists, it might be a bug in the AEM version you’re using. You can consider updating to a newer version if possible.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 9

@NavinT : I have just tested this exact scenario and it is working fine for me. I have tried with different roll-out configurations as well (not that it should have any impact for your use-case)

Can you please check if inheritance is broken properly on the live-copy (variation) page?
Also, please check if there is anything in logs for this.
Worst case scenario, can you try creating a fresh xf pages and try replicating the same issue.
thanks.

Correct answer by
Level 6

Here are a few things you can @NavinT :

1. Check the Rollout Configurations, ensure that the rollout configurations are set correctly. If the ‘Push on modify’ trigger is enabled, any modifications to the source page will be pushed to the live copies. You might want to disable this trigger for your use case.

2. Use Overlays, instead of breaking the inheritance, you can try using overlays. Overlays allow you to customize the functionality of a component without breaking the inheritance.
    https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/release-notes/relea...

3. If the issue persists, it might be a bug in the AEM version you’re using. You can consider updating to a newer version if possible.

Community Advisor

Hi @NavinT 

The behavior you described is expected. When you roll out changes from an Experience Fragment (XF) to its variations, it applies the changes to all components within the XF, including the ones with broken inheritance.

To address this issue, you can use the "Content Sync" feature in AEM as a Cloud Service. Content Sync allows you to selectively synchronize content between the XF and its variations, giving you more control over which components receive the changes.

Here's how you can use Content Sync to synchronize changes only to the common component A, and not the varying component B:

1. Open the Experience Fragment that you want to synchronize changes from.
  2. Click on the "Content Sync" button in the top-right corner of the screen.
  3. In the Content Sync dialog, you will see a list of all the components in the Experience Fragment. Uncheck the box next to component B to exclude it from the synchronization.
  4. Click the "Sync" button to apply the changes to the selected components.

This will synchronize changes only to the common component A, and not the varying component B. 

Thanks.