Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

AEM 6.2 Too many calls Sling Exception.

Level 4

Hello Team,

I'm working on the upgrade project from 5.6.1 to 6.2. Initially I had the issue of Too many Sling api calls exception and my components are not getting loaded in the edit mode. Only when I increase the value of sling.max.calls to higher value, my components gets loaded.

Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I debugged further and figured out that too many calls exception is coming when the number of components are more than 1000. When I debugged, total number of components are 1026.  That includes my custom components, geometrixx components and libs components. when it reached 1000, due to sling.max.calls value set to 1000, Component servlet is calling that component and its giving the exception once it reaches 1000 components.

To test this furhter I uninstalled the geometrixx components in my local and see that number of components came down from 1026 to 868 and this time, it did not result in Too many calls exception.

--Durga

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 10

Is this happening for all components in your instance? What about sample components in geomatrixx? 

Level 10

Also setting a sling config value for components to show up,   Who told you to do that?  Sounds like you should file ticket. Something is broken. This is not normal behaviour. 

Level 4

yes, it is happening with even the geometrixx pages in edit mode with http://localhost:4502/editor.html/content/geometrixx/en/services.html and http://localhost:4502/editor.html/content/geometrixx/en/products.html, I am getting the same exception.

I have attached the debug screenshot for your reference.

Regarding setting a sling config value for components to show up, I have reffered the http://apache-sling.73963.n3.nabble.com/Sling-Main-Servlet-Expose-sling-max-calls-in-request-attribu..., tried increasing the value of sling.max.calls to continue my testing. I will follow up this with a day care ticket.

Version wise I am using Adobe Experience Manager, Version 6.2.0 with no hotfixes.

--Durga

Level 4

One quick observation, I want to share is when I uninstall our code packages and tested the geometrixx, its not hitting the TooManyCalls exception..

I'm believing.. its to do with one of our components.. but not knowing how to debug this further..

From the exception.. we are seeing this exception gets called when

com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.components.ComponentServlet calling the /libs/cq/gui/components/authoring/componentbrowser/component/component.jsp

--Durga

Level 10

I would agree. It sounds like a custom component that is responsible for this. How many custom components are you using?

Correct answer by
Level 4

I debugged further and figured out that too many calls exception is coming when the number of components are more than 1000. When I debugged, total number of components are 1026.  That includes my custom components, geometrixx components and libs components. when it reached 1000, due to sling.max.calls value set to 1000, Component servlet is calling that component and its giving the exception once it reaches 1000 components.

To test this furhter I uninstalled the geometrixx components in my local and see that number of components came down from 1026 to 868 and this time, it did not result in Too many calls exception.

--Durga

Level 10

Nice work - great observations. I am passing this to the support team to see if this is a known issue and if we have a KB on this subject. 

Level 4

Thanks Scott and let me know if you need any additional info regarding this. I would be happy to share. Thanks.

--Durga

Level 2

I believe this is in the release notes somewhere (if I remember correctly). When I participated in the beta I noticed this issue and worked with product support to determine the same setup. In 6.2 the number of requests was lowered from the higher values 6.0 and 6.1 had by default.  It should occur on a default installation if you keep the demo sites in place and add a decent sized custom site to your instance.

Level 2

HI,

This is Riyaz.

We are also doing In Place upgrade from AEM 5.6.1 to 6.2.

Since you have already done this migration, could you please share key points while doing migration?

We are also facing the same issue like TooManyCalls, Touch UI is not working, Edit Icon is not showing for any component, component drag-and-drop is not working, etc...

Thanks,

Riyaz

Level 2

Hi Riyaz,

The edit button will not come if number of components got increased. i.e., >1000. So you can either increase number of calls to as your limit in below configuration in felix console or in sling.properties file increase the components count.1276831_TooManyCallsException.png

Level 10

Hi ,

I don't think that's the number of components.

That's actually the number of calls happens at AEM for a request.

Let's assume config is having value 200. AEM will not render component for a page where this limit gets exceed, though you might still see some components on that page.

Thanks