Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events
SOLVED

AEM Forms-addon Module

Level 5

Hi Team,

Currently we are working completed AEM Forms-add-on Project which extensively using AEM Forms .

Currently Client had shared the XSD and XDP(generated using Adobe Design tool)  files to us .

Please let me know difference between Creating AEM Adaptive Form using XSD vs XDP file ?

Regards

Vara

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, good point. In case you want to merge the data captured to XDP template - you can maintain the same schema - and configure Document of Record options to refer to your template. In case you do not want to maintain the existing templates going forward, but still need a Document of Record - you can go for auto-generated Document of Record option (it supports styling and branding changes as well).

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Employee

@varaande 

When you create an adaptive form, you can select a form model. Your options are:

• Form Templates: Lets you select an XFA template for your adaptive form.

• When you select an XFA template, you can use the associated XDP file for document of record as described above.

• XML Schema : Lets you select an XML/JSON schema definition for your adaptive form. When you select an XML schema for your adaptive form, you can:

• Associate an XFA template for document of record. Ensure that associated XFA template uses the same XML schema as your adaptive form
  • None : Lets you create an adaptive form without a form model.

Now with the client sharing the XSD and the XDP file - there are two quick options: Template based form (referring to the XDP) and Schema (XSD based). XDP based templates allows to execute the rules defined in your XFA form - in the Adaptive Form runtime as well. This introduces an additional overhead on the client side product code to support both XFA rules and Adaptive Forms rules, and thus have a performance impact. XSD schema based form on the other hand is more performant but requires a one time definition of the rules on the Adaptive Form side (which can be easily done using the Rule Editor).

Since you are starting on the project - my recommendation would be to also review JSON schema based approach - this would require a one time conversion of XML Schema to JSON Schema - but would give you the best performance, and allows you to create Core components based Adaptive Forms - something which is future ready to support headless forms, and also has a bunch of other benefits: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-core-components/using/adaptive-forms/intr... 

Employee Advisor

Also do you need to merge the data captured in adaptive form with the xdp template to generate the pdf?

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, good point. In case you want to merge the data captured to XDP template - you can maintain the same schema - and configure Document of Record options to refer to your template. In case you do not want to maintain the existing templates going forward, but still need a Document of Record - you can go for auto-generated Document of Record option (it supports styling and branding changes as well).

Level 5

Thank you Sudhansh

If I understand correctly ,Advised to go for XSD option (Best option would be JSON schema ) for good performance and maintain point of view (XDP may leads to maintain XFA rules and Adaptive form rules (rules editor)) 

Can you please share example of XFA rules . As per my understanding either XSD or XDP or JSON to create the adaptive form quickly instead authoring fields manually  . Is possible to use both XSD and XDP to Create Adaptive Form ?if yes any additional advantages without impacting the performance & Easy Maintained .

varaande_1-1708658777024.png

& Recommended use Document of Record either using XSD or JSON or XDP , Please confirm here.

varaande_2-1708658842467.png

As per our requirement we already have xdp files .But currently team working creating xsds around 1400 xdp files . I was confused why additionally effort is required to create xsds (with data Dictionary file which having details of fields) . One more requirement All Adaptive forms prior to final submission must preview the PDF View(also allow download if end-use need save copy for reference)  So i believe we have choose the "Generate Document of Record "  for the all the Forms.

Regards

Vara

Employee

By XFA rules I was referring to the rules defined in Forms Designer (which are part of the XDP file). Between XSD and XFA Template - I would recommend using XSD (schema). If you have XDP files, and on Submission you want to generate a PDF which had data merged into the XDP - you should use 'Associate Form template as Document of Record'.

So, to summarize - with your use-case - you can for For - Schema based form - selecting the XSD on the first section (Form Model Tab), and in Document of Record part - choose - 'Associate Form template as Document of Record'

The PDF preview option before submit can be done with both 'Associate Form template as Document of Record' and 'Generate Document of Record' option.

Level 5

Thank you very much Sudhansh

If we use XDP along with XSD (in Document of Record part - choose - 'Associate Form template as Document of Record') ,  Is it going to sampling  the implementation logic of preview as PDF Before final submission of the Adaptive Form ?

Basically I would like understanding advantages of using XDP vs not using XDP to preview and download PDF requirement , Because I heard some forms we don't have XDPs , planning go with XSD only.

Thank you in advance

Regards
Vara

Employee

Both XSD and XDP approach allow selecting an XDP file for Document of Record - though you would need to write custom code to generate the Document of Record, and show it to the form filler before the form submission.

Employee

As per "Because I heard some forms we don't have XDPs , planning go with XSD only."
In this case, you should go for JSON schema based form and auto generate DoR. And not create XSD or XDP for same.

Level 5

Thank you Sakshi & Sudhansh

I suggested my client go for JSON schema to create the Adaptive forms for better performance  instead of XSD and XDP . 

But I could not able to convey advantages and disadvantages for each approach to Create Adaptive forms using either XDP or XSD or JSON .

While creating the Adaptive form using XSD or JSON associated with XDP ,Are we going get advantages(less coding or performance) XDP to generate PDF file ,Client raised point saying ,Most of other clients using adobe design tool to crate the XDP what basis to for XSD or XDP o JSON efficient way to creating adaptive forms .

Regards

Vara

Employee

Since you are going with JSON schema - I would recommend using Core components based Adaptive Forms. The advantages of the same are captured here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-core-components/using/adaptive-forms/intr...

Level 5

Hi Sudhansh 

kindly let me know limitations of Adaptive form creation using  XDP or XSD Approach (I conveyed them better performance using JSON approach ,But client raised point performance improvement for authors or end-users Because these approaches quickly creating adaptive form using XDP or XSD other than any significant features leverages in development forms.

Employee

The performance impact is for the end-users. Also, core components based Adaptive Forms support authoring a Form directly inside a Sites page - and ease development of components as well (BEM based + Open source). So apart from the ease to authors and developers, the end-users also have better experience with better Lighthouse score.

Level 5

Thank you Sudhansh

/

While Creating Additive Form ,Select Option as "Form Template" From Form Model Tab

1) Advantage or use case or Scenario  choose the "XDP" file or other options ex: Visual Top or Visual Left etc. 

2) what is advantages/use case/scenario  to  choose "Associate form templates as the document of the record" 

varaande_0-1709004053355.png

Using JSON Schema again "Associate form templates as the document of the record"  either choose the XDP or Visual Top or Visual Left etc.

varaande_1-1709004376864.png

Employee

1) Advantage or use case or Scenario  choose the "XDP" file or other options ex: Visual Top or Visual Left etc. 

The Visual Top/Left are XFA templates available on your AEM instance. They do not control the styling of the Adaptive Form. Choosing an existing XDP is a quick way to create an Adaptive Form from an existing XFA form template - but for performance it is recommended to XSD or JSON schema.

Using JSON Schema again "Associate form templates as the document of the record"  either choose the XDP or Visual Top or Visual Left etc.

Visual Top/Left templates are Correspondence Management templates [1] provided in the product - and not relevant for the Adaptive Forms use-case.

[1] https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/content/forms/getting-started/aem-form... 

Administrator

@varaande Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni