Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Do we need to have the default image 'thumbnails' that are created on upload ?

Level 3

Our image upload process (OOTB I think) includes the creation of a few thumbnails specifically required for use on AEM screens only.

But they appear as static renditions for each image, and are also options for download.

I've read that the display of these can be limited by using the 'image preset listing' and 'image preset datasource ' nodes.

Couple of questions

1/  Are these renditions actually needed just for AEM internal use ?

If they are - it seems crazy that the default is to display them to users and to show them as download options when they have no relevance to users.

2/ Does changing the node setting also remove these renditions from being download options ?

I assume not.

Also presumably changing the number of static renditions displayed would include limiting any user generated image presets being displayed too.

These are likely to be always needed as they are user generated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @GeraintJo ,

let me start by saying: I completely agree! 
Those static renditions are not helpful for the user.

Nobody wants to download them, nobody wants to scroll past them every time to see the actual useful renditions! 

I had a similar complaint with our implementation agency.
The reply was what you already had suspected.
Those renditions are necessary for the system and deleting them will do harm to the system.

From what i have learned in the meantime, AEM is very customizable, so it should be possible to make them invisible for users and it is also very likely that the download dialogue can be edited in a way that those options are not available.

Now comes a BUT...
...we had much bigger issues that were prioritized and this customisation was left behind.
and until i had read your question it wasn't on my mind. 

To end this reply on a good note:
I have seen the power of good ideas. In this experience league community - there is an Idea section.
You can go there to create a short description of the current state, the expected behavior and tell your idea to adobe. They are very interested to hear this, they respond AND depending on how big the impact is, vs the cost of implementation, you have a good chance to improve the system for every user.

So i can only recommend to share the idea there. If you don't do it, i will, and i will get the credit
You can update this tread with a link and @me to get your first upvote on the matter.

In case somebody has already done that - please also @me in your reply, since i would be delighted to get rid of those renditions in my preview and the download dialogue.
*Edited afterwards:
My approach would have been to edit the download dialogue box and the rendition sidebar to only show certain options. Maybe even to apply different options to different user groups? Sorry that i can not provide a finished solution. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @GeraintJo ,

let me start by saying: I completely agree! 
Those static renditions are not helpful for the user.

Nobody wants to download them, nobody wants to scroll past them every time to see the actual useful renditions! 

I had a similar complaint with our implementation agency.
The reply was what you already had suspected.
Those renditions are necessary for the system and deleting them will do harm to the system.

From what i have learned in the meantime, AEM is very customizable, so it should be possible to make them invisible for users and it is also very likely that the download dialogue can be edited in a way that those options are not available.

Now comes a BUT...
...we had much bigger issues that were prioritized and this customisation was left behind.
and until i had read your question it wasn't on my mind. 

To end this reply on a good note:
I have seen the power of good ideas. In this experience league community - there is an Idea section.
You can go there to create a short description of the current state, the expected behavior and tell your idea to adobe. They are very interested to hear this, they respond AND depending on how big the impact is, vs the cost of implementation, you have a good chance to improve the system for every user.

So i can only recommend to share the idea there. If you don't do it, i will, and i will get the credit
You can update this tread with a link and @me to get your first upvote on the matter.

In case somebody has already done that - please also @me in your reply, since i would be delighted to get rid of those renditions in my preview and the download dialogue.
*Edited afterwards:
My approach would have been to edit the download dialogue box and the rendition sidebar to only show certain options. Maybe even to apply different options to different user groups? Sorry that i can not provide a finished solution.