Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Collections and Archives Question

Level 2

We have a view requirements for an asset management platform.

Can users add assets to collections for future use? Can these only be viewable by the individual user and saved for their profile? Can Users create multiple collections?

Does the system have the ability to automatically deactivate assets once they’ve reached their expiration date? Will the assets be moved into the Archive cloud storage only accessible by the System Administrator? Are archived assets clearly labeled as deactivated and archived?

Can the System Administrator search for and reactivate archived and deactivated assets? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Auds , you got many questions here:
Q: Can users add assets to collections
 for future use? 
A: I am not quite certain if i understand this question. Please elaborate.

Q: Can these only be viewable by the individual user and saved for their profile?
A: Yes, there is a way to do this. Create a private folder, have the assets in there. Manage the permission of that folder to include people if you want to. - then add assets from this folder in the collection of your choice.
The files in here should only be visible to the user that has permission to see that folder. Correct me please if I am wrong on this.

Q: Can Users create multiple collections?
A: Yes they can.

Q:Does the system have the ability to automatically deactivate assets once they’ve reached their expiration date?
A: Yes it does. The metadata property - prism:ExpirationDate - expiry - will change the way the asset behaves in the AEM. The asset will no longer be downloadable and it will be depublished from AEM and Brand Portal.
The Asset will be still visible, but no longer usable for regular users. Even the Adobe Asset Link will be locked out.

Q: Will the assets be moved into the Archive cloud storage only accessible by the System Administrator?
A: Can't give a yes or no answer. You will have to create a workflow for that, and depending on your archive - this may or may not have to be triggered and approved by an administrator. 

Q: Are archived assets clearly labeled as deactivated and archived?
A: Can't speak for the archived assets, but expired assets get a red flag lable on the thumbnail to make it easily visible that the asset can not be used. There is a little thing to add here - the red flag also appears for assets that have dependencies on an expired asset. We changed the icons color to improve this.
Red flag - AssetIsExpired 
Yellow flag - SubAssetIsExpired
I created an entry in the idea section in which I explain this a bit better.
Here is a link: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager-ideas/a-better-differencia...

Q:  Can the System Administrator search for and reactivate archived and deactivated assets? 
A: Depends on your archive solution. Lets say you stay within AEM. You create a private folder, call it archive and move assets there via workflow. For example - as soon as an asset expires - i moves there. Or you use a workflow that allows users to report assets for a move to the archive. 
Then the asset would stay in the AEM folder, could be seen by administrators AND every usergroup / user you want to give access via permissions to that folder. Since the asset was expired- these users would still not be able to download the asset - the admins will be able to do so.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Auds , you got many questions here:
Q: Can users add assets to collections
 for future use? 
A: I am not quite certain if i understand this question. Please elaborate.

Q: Can these only be viewable by the individual user and saved for their profile?
A: Yes, there is a way to do this. Create a private folder, have the assets in there. Manage the permission of that folder to include people if you want to. - then add assets from this folder in the collection of your choice.
The files in here should only be visible to the user that has permission to see that folder. Correct me please if I am wrong on this.

Q: Can Users create multiple collections?
A: Yes they can.

Q:Does the system have the ability to automatically deactivate assets once they’ve reached their expiration date?
A: Yes it does. The metadata property - prism:ExpirationDate - expiry - will change the way the asset behaves in the AEM. The asset will no longer be downloadable and it will be depublished from AEM and Brand Portal.
The Asset will be still visible, but no longer usable for regular users. Even the Adobe Asset Link will be locked out.

Q: Will the assets be moved into the Archive cloud storage only accessible by the System Administrator?
A: Can't give a yes or no answer. You will have to create a workflow for that, and depending on your archive - this may or may not have to be triggered and approved by an administrator. 

Q: Are archived assets clearly labeled as deactivated and archived?
A: Can't speak for the archived assets, but expired assets get a red flag lable on the thumbnail to make it easily visible that the asset can not be used. There is a little thing to add here - the red flag also appears for assets that have dependencies on an expired asset. We changed the icons color to improve this.
Red flag - AssetIsExpired 
Yellow flag - SubAssetIsExpired
I created an entry in the idea section in which I explain this a bit better.
Here is a link: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager-ideas/a-better-differencia...

Q:  Can the System Administrator search for and reactivate archived and deactivated assets? 
A: Depends on your archive solution. Lets say you stay within AEM. You create a private folder, call it archive and move assets there via workflow. For example - as soon as an asset expires - i moves there. Or you use a workflow that allows users to report assets for a move to the archive. 
Then the asset would stay in the AEM folder, could be seen by administrators AND every usergroup / user you want to give access via permissions to that folder. Since the asset was expired- these users would still not be able to download the asset - the admins will be able to do so.

Community Advisor

@Auds Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.