Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events
SOLVED

Can a light user upload an asset with all its metadata

Level 1

We are a company about to aquire the whole package of AEM, but our assigned Adobe sales rep can't tell us if a light user of the DAM can upload a file with all its metadata.

One of the reasons that we are looking forward this solution, is because our current DAM does not have its files with the proper metadata that we want, since we have lots of them, however, some external users, like agencies or providers are the ones who create the assets and upload them. We want them to be able to fill the metadata when they upload files, so we no longer have to do it, in order to keep a proper organization.

I understand Standrad users have all kind of capacities and accesses, but we are not giving our few Standard users to external collaborators, just Light type users.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Andre117 

AEM provides preconfigured groups with defined permissions, and the one that appears to align with your requirements is the 'DAM-USERS' group. You can learn more about it by visiting this link: DAM-USERS Group.

In addition to these default groups, AEM enables you to fully customize your groups and permissions to precisely match your specific needs. It's important to consider that the concept of a 'light user' itself is a customized aspect, as its definition may vary from one company to another. This suggests that you might need to create your own group with the appropriate permissions

Hope it helps

Esteban Bustamante

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Andre117 

AEM provides preconfigured groups with defined permissions, and the one that appears to align with your requirements is the 'DAM-USERS' group. You can learn more about it by visiting this link: DAM-USERS Group.

In addition to these default groups, AEM enables you to fully customize your groups and permissions to precisely match your specific needs. It's important to consider that the concept of a 'light user' itself is a customized aspect, as its definition may vary from one company to another. This suggests that you might need to create your own group with the appropriate permissions

Hope it helps

Esteban Bustamante

Community Advisor

AEM saves the metadata within the asset itself.
So if an external user gets the right to upload, all the metadata that he has put into the asset will be displayed depending on your metadata schemata. So it is possible for an external user to add metadata into an asset before uploading. 

AdilosCantuerk_0-1692698434147.png

In addition, you could create a folder and give ace to a group or even a single user, so that this user would be able to (read, create, modify, delete, etc) only in the folder you want.

Level 1

This question isn't about how a company defines a light user. It is specific licensing terminology for Adobe Assets. Based on the information provided by the Adobe website. Light users can use Asset Share or Brand Portal.

"Asset Share. Asset Share may only be added to AEM Assets. Assets Share must be licensed separately for each AEM Assets deployment and may not be shared across multiple AEM Assets deployments. Asset Share includes the use of AEM Sites functionality only for the construction of a custom media portal to facilitate the distribution of Customer’s digital assets stored within AEM Assets to internal and external groups.

Light User. Light Users may only be added to AEM Assets to access Asset Share and Brand Portal."

Community Advisor

Everybody seems to read the question a little bit different than me.
I read: Can a user which does not take away a license, upload files with proper metadata?
My short answer: - Yes - 
My slightly longer explanation:
It is possible to create a asset distribution folder, publish this to brand portal and invite users to that folder. This user, or user group, that you invite does not have to use any of your licenses. They will use their own adobe id to authenticate. This can even be a personal ID.
Lets use an agency for our example.
The agency is able to edit all the standard metadata properties within their regular workflows.
To do this they can certainly use the built in functions within Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, etc. or even with an exif-tool. 

As soon as the metadata is written in the asset - AEM will pick this information up.
There might be some exceptions, for example the Tags, or custom made properties.
@Andre117 please let me know if i understood the question correctly