Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Workspace: How to compare two segments and only adjust one?

Level 4

This is something I do in Ad-Hoc, where it is very easy to do, but I want to do the same thing in Workspace but can't figure out how to.

What I am trying to do is this:

1. Create a segment

2. Drag two instances of that segment in to a report

3. Edit one of the two instances, so I can compare them vs each other (to see what the difference is)

in Ad-hoc, this works fine. In Workspace, any edit I make to the instances I edit will also be made to the instance I didn't edit. I know I can use Save As, but I don't want to use this as I only want to save the final version of the segment, once I'm done figuring out which works best.

I hope this makes sense.

How can I edit and create an unsaved version of the original segment?

Thanks,

Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi frankd55973318

What you can do is "save as" to get a new version, drag the new segment from reft rail to project.

But don't forget to open "segment manager" and immediately delete the segment again.

this way, the new segment will stay in the project as long as you need it. that means you can use it as long as you don't delete it.

on the other hand you can still make it "public" later on to put it in the final "segmet list" for all your projects.

what I use quite often is a tag "TEST" and I periodically open the segment manager to delete all "TEST- segments (they will stay in the projects in case I need them in the future ...)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

For testing purpose I always use the drop zone of the panel in a workspcae project, drag to panel, edit and make public if needed.

Maybe that was too short, lets get through the single steps:

1. Drop any item which you want to use in the segment in the filter zone at the top of a panel. For example, if you drop a single element of a dimension (orange), it will stick there and show the item. but that is already a full segment even if the color doesn't make it clear at the beginning (jen.lasser​ maybe something to improve?)
  2. Move the item to any table you want. as soon as you do this the color switches to blue (segments)
  3. hoover over the new segment and hit and edit to get i to segment manager, adjust segment as needed.

Repeat steps 1-3 if you need more segments to compare...

The cool thing about this is that your segmentd are created "locally", that means they exists only within this workspace project! the bad thing: if you accidentally remove it, it's lost!

As soon as you finished testing and are happy with a segment, you can make it "public". the easiest way is hoovering over segment, hit and within the info box use the link at the bottom "make segment public". Now you're segment is within the segments manager for you and you may go on and share as needed.

at the end, you either leave the test project as is (use "tags" to mark as test) or delete it completely. if you do the last, all the temporary segments in the project will get deleted as well.

let me know if you need more information

Employee Advisor

Frank - what edits are you trying to make to the second segment?

Urs - thanks for the feedback. We just introduced those component colors to the drop zone with the release of dropdown filters in September. They used to always turn blue, but we wanted to reinforce the color paradigm that is started in the left rail. Something we can continue to think about and listen for though.

Community Advisor

jen.lasser

thanks for your reply! I know it changed, maybe it's just for "old" users to make the change. But I admit after thinking about the color, it makes really sense to keep it "orange" (as long as it's a hit segment on one dimension)

I guess what frankd55973318​ is a missing feater I might raise an idea about: having a local segment (for testing) and the create a copy having the new one beeing public! sort of "save as locally" so you can do some minir changes and the decide, which of those segments I want too keep...

Community Advisor

created a new idea, please vote if you like it: Segment "save as" locally, not public

Level 4

Hi Urs,

Thanks for the tip. This is very useful when creating two new segments from scratch.

However, if I already have a saved segment that I am using and want to make a small edit to it and compare the two, then it doesn't work.

jen.lasser

For example, if I have a segment set at hit level and I want to create another version of it on visit level, just to quickly look at the difference, but I don't want to save the visit level one.

thanks.

Also, I've upvoted your idea Urs, I think i's a really good one.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi frankd55973318

What you can do is "save as" to get a new version, drag the new segment from reft rail to project.

But don't forget to open "segment manager" and immediately delete the segment again.

this way, the new segment will stay in the project as long as you need it. that means you can use it as long as you don't delete it.

on the other hand you can still make it "public" later on to put it in the final "segmet list" for all your projects.

what I use quite often is a tag "TEST" and I periodically open the segment manager to delete all "TEST- segments (they will stay in the projects in case I need them in the future ...)

Employee Advisor

Thanks for creating that idea Urs! We will keep this discussion going there and consider this for a future improvement in Workspace.