Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

why I see unspecified and low traffic when I want to list adobe marketing cloud id ?

Level 2

as you can see in the panel  I want to show the MCID for an activity but it shows un specified and low traffic .. so I 'm asking why ?

atef00_0-1667908358353.png

I'm using Data Insertion Api for implementing adobe analytics .
sample of the request :: 

data.insertionApi.url=https://{datacollectionhost}/b/ss/{rsid}/0?pe=tnt&tnta={payload}&mcid={mcid}

what is the difference that could happen if i add the v77 to my request URL like ::

data.insertionApi.url=https://{datacollectionhost}/b/ss/{rsid}/0?pe=tnt&tnta={payload}&mcid={mcid}&v77={mcid}

and if can any one simplify what is the unspecified and low traffic exactly because I read the articles but I'm a little bit confused especially with low traffic 

Thanks  

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I have not used the Data Insertion function, but I can help with "unspecified" and "(low traffic)"

So let's start with the concept of reporting... generally people are interesting in the content that is getting the most views; this is the important data.

In order to improve performance in Reporting and Workspaces, Adobe has a 500,000 unique values limitation - so within each dimension, for each month the top 500,000 unique values will be shown in the report.... stuff that only gets a few views (falling below the 500,000 threshold) will be combined into one "(low traffic)" bucket. 

Important Note:  the data still exists in your raw data collection, it can still be exported through the Data Warehouse or Raw Data exports, the limits only affect the data that is being manipulated and pulled live. 

You can also have those thresholds increased on a per dimension level... they will warn you that this could impact performance, I have upped a few of mine to 2,000,000 and haven't had any problems... if you do decide to increase this and it causes issues, you can always have it reset to the original threshold.

Now, for "Unspecified". This generally impacts eVars, this represents "no value". Since eVars are traditionally used with custom expiry values (visit, one month, until event X is triggered, etc), items with no value set are assigned "Unspecified" within reporting. These can easily be configured to be hidden in Workspace reports:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1667922983567.png

Many people feel that "Unspecified" shouldn't be used, but this is an important feature when trying to attribute your values to actions (knowing how many conversions are unattributed, for example, is valuable information that can be used to help improve your site and user flows). With the ability to show or hide this field, it can be used in multiple ways to suit your needs.

I assume based on your screenshot that you are testing within a larger suite, hence why your calls with "Unspecified" would represent the calls without eVar77, and your "(Low Traffic)" values are your testing where you included it... If the MCID of your test inserts should be a known user, you might need to check that the value is being sent properly in your tokenization... if this is a new users, it could easily be swallowed by so much data in your suite already. You may need to do a Data Warehouse export to see the actual values (or test the insertion in a dev suite where you will be no where near your thresholds)

Now, back to your data insertions... again, I don't use them.. but if you are using eVar77 to hold your MCID values, then you would probably want to include that in your insertion (assuming that your normal capture is to pass that value on all calls)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I have not used the Data Insertion function, but I can help with "unspecified" and "(low traffic)"

So let's start with the concept of reporting... generally people are interesting in the content that is getting the most views; this is the important data.

In order to improve performance in Reporting and Workspaces, Adobe has a 500,000 unique values limitation - so within each dimension, for each month the top 500,000 unique values will be shown in the report.... stuff that only gets a few views (falling below the 500,000 threshold) will be combined into one "(low traffic)" bucket. 

Important Note:  the data still exists in your raw data collection, it can still be exported through the Data Warehouse or Raw Data exports, the limits only affect the data that is being manipulated and pulled live. 

You can also have those thresholds increased on a per dimension level... they will warn you that this could impact performance, I have upped a few of mine to 2,000,000 and haven't had any problems... if you do decide to increase this and it causes issues, you can always have it reset to the original threshold.

Now, for "Unspecified". This generally impacts eVars, this represents "no value". Since eVars are traditionally used with custom expiry values (visit, one month, until event X is triggered, etc), items with no value set are assigned "Unspecified" within reporting. These can easily be configured to be hidden in Workspace reports:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1667922983567.png

Many people feel that "Unspecified" shouldn't be used, but this is an important feature when trying to attribute your values to actions (knowing how many conversions are unattributed, for example, is valuable information that can be used to help improve your site and user flows). With the ability to show or hide this field, it can be used in multiple ways to suit your needs.

I assume based on your screenshot that you are testing within a larger suite, hence why your calls with "Unspecified" would represent the calls without eVar77, and your "(Low Traffic)" values are your testing where you included it... If the MCID of your test inserts should be a known user, you might need to check that the value is being sent properly in your tokenization... if this is a new users, it could easily be swallowed by so much data in your suite already. You may need to do a Data Warehouse export to see the actual values (or test the insertion in a dev suite where you will be no where near your thresholds)

Now, back to your data insertions... again, I don't use them.. but if you are using eVar77 to hold your MCID values, then you would probably want to include that in your insertion (assuming that your normal capture is to pass that value on all calls)

Community Advisor

I just want to add an update to this... just recently Adobe updated the "Low Traffic" threshold from 500,000 to 2,000,000.