Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is the cost model for server calls in Adobe Analytics?

Level 2

Hi

I am looking for some tentative costs that Adobe clients can incur for the server calls? In one of the case where we are exploring the option to add a global reportsuite in addition to websites own reportsuite. The server calls in this case get doubled, so will this double the cost? or is there a range of server calls for which Adobe  charges and then when is crosses the range , the next cost slab gets applied?

Thanks

Parm

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The model you describe is double the cost if your contract written for only "Primary Calls"... if you have "Secondary Calls" in your contract, server calls to additional suites (as in multiple suites encoded into the same server calls) will cost half the primary call.

However, this is not a smart way to implement... With the advent of Virtual Suites (almost 10 years ago), there is no need to use multiple server calls any longer.... Create a Global Report Suite, send all data there. Then create individual segments for each of your sites (I like to use the server dimension, and pass that on ALL hits - page views and actions: domain1.com or domain2.com, etc). 

Next, create virtual report suites using the new segments.

Now you will have a global suite, and suites for each site.. and there is no additional costs incurred.

This also becomes easier to maintain... when you need to add a new prop or evar or event, you won't have to select all your suites and try to modify them as a group, or add the configurations one at a time.. you have one suite to edit and that is it.

More on Virtual Report Suites:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/virtual-report-suites/vrs-about.html?la...

Note: a lot of the "limitations" listed in this doc are referencing the old Reports area.. 

I have been using Virtual Report Suites almost since they were introduced... I used to have Global + Individual Suites and I would never go back to that model.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The model you describe is double the cost if your contract written for only "Primary Calls"... if you have "Secondary Calls" in your contract, server calls to additional suites (as in multiple suites encoded into the same server calls) will cost half the primary call.

However, this is not a smart way to implement... With the advent of Virtual Suites (almost 10 years ago), there is no need to use multiple server calls any longer.... Create a Global Report Suite, send all data there. Then create individual segments for each of your sites (I like to use the server dimension, and pass that on ALL hits - page views and actions: domain1.com or domain2.com, etc). 

Next, create virtual report suites using the new segments.

Now you will have a global suite, and suites for each site.. and there is no additional costs incurred.

This also becomes easier to maintain... when you need to add a new prop or evar or event, you won't have to select all your suites and try to modify them as a group, or add the configurations one at a time.. you have one suite to edit and that is it.

More on Virtual Report Suites:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/virtual-report-suites/vrs-about.html?la...

Note: a lot of the "limitations" listed in this doc are referencing the old Reports area.. 

I have been using Virtual Report Suites almost since they were introduced... I used to have Global + Individual Suites and I would never go back to that model.

Community Advisor

It should also be noted that your contract is written for some period, probably a year... you should look at your current Server Call Usage Reports to see where you are sitting... If you go above your threshold you will get a bill for overage charges when you hit the end of the current contract period.

Level 2

Thanks @Jennifer_Dungan  for your reply. I would agree that single global reportsuite is an ideal solution with virtual ones.

The challenge we have in that case is from one of the domains, many of the key dimensions already cross the limit of 500k values. The traffic is huge and  limits in many dimensions get exhausted within half of the month so can't combine data from all domains into a single report suite but at the same time we need a cross domain view for key journeys.

Any other solution that might work in this scenario of huge traffic on just one site and trying to get a consolidated view across multiple sites?

Community Advisor

You can increase the limit for some of the parameters from the default 500,000... They will warn you that it "might" affect performance... but I haven't noticed any issues with the ones we raised to 2,000,000....

But yes, I hear you... the limits can be annoying... however, are those being used specifically (right down to the lowest version" in your Workspaces? Cause the data is all still there in its raw form.. the limits only apply to the Workspace Reports....

Could you leverage the Raw Data exports for those dimensions that have so many different values?