Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Variable with value = 1

Level 3

I have a evar that stores 1, when someone submits entry.

How do i visualize this variable, when i am creating a freedom table occurence, views..dont make sense and shows wrong counts.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It would help if we could understand what you are trying to analyze? Are you trying to see how many submissions people are making?

Technically speaking, you can set up a "Counter eVar"... it will still present as text, but when tracking, you can actually use:

s.eVar1 = "+1"

Every time this fires, the value will increment.

So the first time the value will be "1.00", the next time "2.00", and so on:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1686154582599.png

Everyone who tracked "2.00" is included in the "1.00" row, everyone tracked "3.00" was included in the "2.00" and "1.00" rows, etc...

But the final values are still text, you cannot do math on them as @yuhuisg said... 

If you are really trying to get a count, using a custom success event is a better option... then you can create segments like:

Visit Level:
        EventX - Submit Entry  is greater than or equal to  4

To pull out people who submitted 4 times in the session... for instance.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

If you're thinking of performing mathematical calculations on that eVar value, then that's not going to happen. eVar values are always strings, so your number 1 has been stored as the string "1".

You should use a success event to track your counter. Success events are metrics in Analysis Workspace, and you can perform mathematical functions on them.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It would help if we could understand what you are trying to analyze? Are you trying to see how many submissions people are making?

Technically speaking, you can set up a "Counter eVar"... it will still present as text, but when tracking, you can actually use:

s.eVar1 = "+1"

Every time this fires, the value will increment.

So the first time the value will be "1.00", the next time "2.00", and so on:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1686154582599.png

Everyone who tracked "2.00" is included in the "1.00" row, everyone tracked "3.00" was included in the "2.00" and "1.00" rows, etc...

But the final values are still text, you cannot do math on them as @yuhuisg said... 

If you are really trying to get a count, using a custom success event is a better option... then you can create segments like:

Visit Level:
        EventX - Submit Entry  is greater than or equal to  4

To pull out people who submitted 4 times in the session... for instance.