Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

The Pfizer customer ID details of portal metrics are inconsistent with the total number

Level 2

Dear all,

The Pfizer customer ID details of portal metrics are inconsistent with the total number, more detail please refer to attached picture:

屏幕截图 2022-08-18 155407.png

1. View the portal visit details through breakdown Pfizer customer ID. The total number of all portal metrics details are different from the displayed total number. Total number of page views is 2987, breakdown total number of Pfizer customer ID is 2653, which is much smaller than the total number of Page views. Total number of Visits is 1608, breakdown total number of Pfizer customer ID is 1975, which is much larger than the total number of Visits.
  1. The HCP can be identified Pfizer customer ID after login completed. why is there’re -1 under Login complected?
  1. Unspecified and -1 are both HCPs who have not logged in and cannot identify Pfizer customer ID. What's the differences between them? 
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Item #1

I think you are missing some details of your table:

"breakdown total number of Pfizer customer ID is 2653" - this isn't a correct statement... the first 5 rows (page 1 of 26) adds to 2653... you haven't counted the other 25 pages of results. The circled value at each level of the breakdown is showing the total for each breakdown and they all show the same thing, meaning there is no loss.:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1660826315539.png

To use a similar example, your table, showing 3 months of data, and a prop (rather than an eVar so that "unspecified" isn't returned) could result in the following totals:

• Month Total: 5456
    • May Total: 1345
      •   Prop X Total (assuming this was not captured everywhere): 974
    •  Jun Total: 2483
      • eVar Y Total (because Unspecified are counted): 2483
    • July Total: 1628
      • Segment A (assuming no overlap with B, and that together A and B add up to the total): 954
      •  Segment B (assuming no overlap with A, and that together A and B add up to the total): 674

1. Props (which don't show "unspecified" would result in a different total, but that is to be expected if it didn't have any data)
  2. eVars (you can choose to show or not show unspecified) should roll up to your totals with unspecified included, and it is in your case
  3. Segments (depending on how they are built) can go a number of ways
    1. Completely Mutually exclusive, should add to the total
    2. Segments that missed a portion of your traffic won't add to the total
    3. Segments that contain overlapping data (between A and B) would count to "higher" than the total

For the visits, this could mean that users start their visit as not-logged in (unspecified) then log in during the visit. The Total at the top is de-duplicated data from your breakdowns and is completely expected in such a scenario.

A simple explaination... I come to your site and hit you "Home Page", then I also hit your "About Us Page", then I hit your "Contact US Page".

If you had a similar breakdown as above, but using Page (instead of user ids), you would have total Visits of 1 (since I did all actions in that one visit). But each page, because they are your breakout, would show a visit for each page..... you can't add the visit for each page together and expect to see a total of 3 visits.... that would over count your stats.

• Total Visits                            1
    • Home Page                  1
    • About Us Page             1
    • Contact Us Page           1

^ this is exactly what you should see if you were looking at my visit (as described above) individually.

Item #2

Without knowing your implementation, that is nearly impossible for us to help with such a specific question.. However, we can offer you help in tracking it down.... what other data are you collecting on all your hits? You could try breaking that down by "page" to find the page it's being set on, or maybe you have an eVar tracking the full url, you could try that...  However, be mindful of the expiry settings on your eVar, as you may end up looking in the wrong place if the eVar maintains the value through the visit... you might want to pair it with the metric "instance of eVar X" to get specifically where the value is being set.

The key is to identify where on your site "-1" is being set, then focusing testing in that area to determine what is going wrong. How are you pulling the ID? Are you extracting it from a cookie? Are your developers providing you with a data layer? Is there a chance that something is being set incorrectly and its coming to you... is it possible your code to process that ID, if the data isn't yet available is causing it to be sent to Adobe like this?

Item #3

Since you are using an eVar, which by nature has a customizable "expiry" (i.e. hit, visit, week, etc) Adobe will populate your report with "unspecified" if there is absolutely no value. You can customize this behaviour in your report by using the filter (at the eVar level) and unselecting "Include unspecified (none)"

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1660827788731.png

This is a personal choice and you may find it useful in some instances (like here where you are looking at your logged in user id, vs non-logged in)

The "-1" may also represent non-logged in users as you say, but somewhere in your implementation you are passing a literal "-1" value, and that is why this is showing up... See my points in #2 on how to track that down.. it may even be possible that the "-1" is coming from user who were logged in, then logged out? Again, without knowing your implementation we can only speculate on that.

Good luck tracking down that -1.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Item #1

I think you are missing some details of your table:

"breakdown total number of Pfizer customer ID is 2653" - this isn't a correct statement... the first 5 rows (page 1 of 26) adds to 2653... you haven't counted the other 25 pages of results. The circled value at each level of the breakdown is showing the total for each breakdown and they all show the same thing, meaning there is no loss.:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1660826315539.png

To use a similar example, your table, showing 3 months of data, and a prop (rather than an eVar so that "unspecified" isn't returned) could result in the following totals:

• Month Total: 5456
    • May Total: 1345
      •   Prop X Total (assuming this was not captured everywhere): 974
    •  Jun Total: 2483
      • eVar Y Total (because Unspecified are counted): 2483
    • July Total: 1628
      • Segment A (assuming no overlap with B, and that together A and B add up to the total): 954
      •  Segment B (assuming no overlap with A, and that together A and B add up to the total): 674

1. Props (which don't show "unspecified" would result in a different total, but that is to be expected if it didn't have any data)
  2. eVars (you can choose to show or not show unspecified) should roll up to your totals with unspecified included, and it is in your case
  3. Segments (depending on how they are built) can go a number of ways
    1. Completely Mutually exclusive, should add to the total
    2. Segments that missed a portion of your traffic won't add to the total
    3. Segments that contain overlapping data (between A and B) would count to "higher" than the total

For the visits, this could mean that users start their visit as not-logged in (unspecified) then log in during the visit. The Total at the top is de-duplicated data from your breakdowns and is completely expected in such a scenario.

A simple explaination... I come to your site and hit you "Home Page", then I also hit your "About Us Page", then I hit your "Contact US Page".

If you had a similar breakdown as above, but using Page (instead of user ids), you would have total Visits of 1 (since I did all actions in that one visit). But each page, because they are your breakout, would show a visit for each page..... you can't add the visit for each page together and expect to see a total of 3 visits.... that would over count your stats.

• Total Visits                            1
    • Home Page                  1
    • About Us Page             1
    • Contact Us Page           1

^ this is exactly what you should see if you were looking at my visit (as described above) individually.

Item #2

Without knowing your implementation, that is nearly impossible for us to help with such a specific question.. However, we can offer you help in tracking it down.... what other data are you collecting on all your hits? You could try breaking that down by "page" to find the page it's being set on, or maybe you have an eVar tracking the full url, you could try that...  However, be mindful of the expiry settings on your eVar, as you may end up looking in the wrong place if the eVar maintains the value through the visit... you might want to pair it with the metric "instance of eVar X" to get specifically where the value is being set.

The key is to identify where on your site "-1" is being set, then focusing testing in that area to determine what is going wrong. How are you pulling the ID? Are you extracting it from a cookie? Are your developers providing you with a data layer? Is there a chance that something is being set incorrectly and its coming to you... is it possible your code to process that ID, if the data isn't yet available is causing it to be sent to Adobe like this?

Item #3

Since you are using an eVar, which by nature has a customizable "expiry" (i.e. hit, visit, week, etc) Adobe will populate your report with "unspecified" if there is absolutely no value. You can customize this behaviour in your report by using the filter (at the eVar level) and unselecting "Include unspecified (none)"

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1660827788731.png

This is a personal choice and you may find it useful in some instances (like here where you are looking at your logged in user id, vs non-logged in)

The "-1" may also represent non-logged in users as you say, but somewhere in your implementation you are passing a literal "-1" value, and that is why this is showing up... See my points in #2 on how to track that down.. it may even be possible that the "-1" is coming from user who were logged in, then logged out? Again, without knowing your implementation we can only speculate on that.

Good luck tracking down that -1.