Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Site Sections, Hier or URL Classifications?

Level 2

Which is the best option to categorize pages or the site? Wouldn't it be easier to create rules to split URL and classifications? What are the pros and cons of each of them?

Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hierarchies are still available in workspace, I use them everyday. The benefit of hierarchies is that they can classify the pages differently than the URL... For instance, I have a hierarchy for our articles which uses the publishing year, then month, then day, then article alias... So that I can see content broken out by publishing date, which is not a part of the URL.

If you are replicating the exact same info then there's no point in using all the options, but if you use them to classify the info on criteria not based on your urls, then you have a world of options.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 3

Hierarchy variables are deprecated and no longer available in Analysis Workspace. Site sections are useful for large sites and it is helpful to group pages into sections. URL classification should also help if there is a valid business case, but least used in enterprise environments. IMO, a well defined SDR with proper Server, Site section and Page definition should be good enough to categorize pages.

Level 2

But I still can use Hier as Dimension, isn't it the same? Thanks a lot for your answer!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hierarchies are still available in workspace, I use them everyday. The benefit of hierarchies is that they can classify the pages differently than the URL... For instance, I have a hierarchy for our articles which uses the publishing year, then month, then day, then article alias... So that I can see content broken out by publishing date, which is not a part of the URL.

If you are replicating the exact same info then there's no point in using all the options, but if you use them to classify the info on criteria not based on your urls, then you have a world of options.