Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Should Traffic Variables (props) be used for hit level data?

Level 2

On my website I have stories for which I want to capture certain details of the story when the user clicks on it.
I want to capture the story title, category, published date and other parameters.

These parameters should exist only when the user clicks on it. So I was planning to capture this data in Traffic Variables (props). However Adobe recommends using eVars to capture details.

Should I use traffic variables or stick with eVars?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think Adobe has a vision where props no longer exist... but there's so many clients still using props that it's not likely to happen soon.....

eVars are more recommended at this point for a few reasons...

1. You have more eVars than props
  2. eVars have a max character limit of 255, vs a prop which can only hold 100 characters
  3. eVars can be set to "Hit" level expiry, so they will work like a prop

Now, if you need list support... this is tricky... props can be turned into list items with a selected delimiter (you still have to keep the length down to 100 characters, but for some things, this is still fine). When it comes to eVars, there are only three "List" variables (which are fancy eVars that support sending multiple items to be delimited)... but if these are already in use, then you have to do a lot of work to try and make your lists more multi-functional....

I am still using a mix of props and eVars... to change my implementation I would need to rebuild a lot of reports and I would have to work with our Data Lake team to change all their processing.. so it might be something I will do in the future... but for new implementations, you might want to lean towards eVars (just in case Adobe does decide to sunset props at some point).

Just remember, if you only want the value when it's actually clicked (i.e. set)... make sure you set the eVar to Hit expiry... or you will see much more data than you expect.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think Adobe has a vision where props no longer exist... but there's so many clients still using props that it's not likely to happen soon.....

eVars are more recommended at this point for a few reasons...

1. You have more eVars than props
  2. eVars have a max character limit of 255, vs a prop which can only hold 100 characters
  3. eVars can be set to "Hit" level expiry, so they will work like a prop

Now, if you need list support... this is tricky... props can be turned into list items with a selected delimiter (you still have to keep the length down to 100 characters, but for some things, this is still fine). When it comes to eVars, there are only three "List" variables (which are fancy eVars that support sending multiple items to be delimited)... but if these are already in use, then you have to do a lot of work to try and make your lists more multi-functional....

I am still using a mix of props and eVars... to change my implementation I would need to rebuild a lot of reports and I would have to work with our Data Lake team to change all their processing.. so it might be something I will do in the future... but for new implementations, you might want to lean towards eVars (just in case Adobe does decide to sunset props at some point).

Just remember, if you only want the value when it's actually clicked (i.e. set)... make sure you set the eVar to Hit expiry... or you will see much more data than you expect.