Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Segment returning results outside of segment

Level 1

I have created a segment at the hit level using product codes, but when I run a product code report it returns thousands or results for product codes not in my segment

So I tried creating a hit level segment of just one product code and even that returns hundreds of product codes

It is not just junk data of 1 or 2 visit either, on the one with multiple product codes the Top 10 returned product codes include 4 product codes not in my segment

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

When you build a segment, the system looks at the conditions and then returns all information at that level (hit/visit/visitor).

So you've got a hit level segment with a product code. Adobe is going to find every hit where that product exists, and bring in all of the information in that hit. For example, if a customer placed an order for that product, it will return that product as well as every other product in the same order (same hit). 

There is an option to have "exclude" conditions in segments. However, that has some limitations as well. If you say "exclude products that aren't Product 1", it will exclude any hit that has products that aren't product 1, even if the hit does have product 1 as well, so you might end up undercounting the products you're interested in.

The cleanest way to get the data for specific products would be to use the product dimension and filter in the table for the products that you want. Or to use the segment but then also filter the results using the dimension so you get just the products you're interested in.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

When you build a segment, the system looks at the conditions and then returns all information at that level (hit/visit/visitor).

So you've got a hit level segment with a product code. Adobe is going to find every hit where that product exists, and bring in all of the information in that hit. For example, if a customer placed an order for that product, it will return that product as well as every other product in the same order (same hit). 

There is an option to have "exclude" conditions in segments. However, that has some limitations as well. If you say "exclude products that aren't Product 1", it will exclude any hit that has products that aren't product 1, even if the hit does have product 1 as well, so you might end up undercounting the products you're interested in.

The cleanest way to get the data for specific products would be to use the product dimension and filter in the table for the products that you want. Or to use the segment but then also filter the results using the dimension so you get just the products you're interested in.

Community Advisor

Yes, this is one thing most users dislike about Products... whether you use Product equals or contains, you always get a full return of every Product that was part of the same "Product tracking hit".

Segments will not return the specific product in isolation.... Filters in the table is the only way that works....