Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Retroactively Remove Bad Data from Bots

Level 1

My site had an influx of bot visits from April 26th-June 6th. I was able to create a new bot rule to exclude the user agent in the future.

However, is there a way to retroactively exclude/remove this data?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hi @mp03,

For the data that has already come in you will need to use a segment to exclude that data. 

If you're using a VRS, you can add a segment to it that excludes user agents you've identified as bots, and that will work for all historical data. If you're not using a VRS, you would need to add the segment to the workspaces manually.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hi @mp03,

For the data that has already come in you will need to use a segment to exclude that data. 

If you're using a VRS, you can add a segment to it that excludes user agents you've identified as bots, and that will work for all historical data. If you're not using a VRS, you would need to add the segment to the workspaces manually.

Community Advisor

In our company, I have what I call the "Clean" Suite, which is a Virtual Suite that all reports are built off of. 

Then I use Segments to exclude garbage, like issues with double tracking or bots, that I can either add to my "Clean" Segment, or if it's complex, I can create a separate segment and add to my Clean Suite(s).

This way I can retroactively add exclusions that will automatically apply to all reports, and then our users don't have to manually add new segments to all their reports....

Now, I see that you are using User Agent to identify that bot data, and if you aren't tracking the User Agent in an eVar this might be hard to create a segment at this time... 

Hopefully there is something you can use to identify this traffic via a segment, and if you do like I do above, this will be a lot of work to transition people to a "clean" virtual suite for future issues like this... but it still may be worth it.