Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Regarding Active time to add a product to the cart

Level 2

I want to define segments where visitor has taken Active total time to add item to cart.

for e.g If visit 1 visitor spends 30 seconds on website and in second visit he spent 15 seconds on website and add item to cart so here he has taken total 45 seconds to add item to cart I want to define this type of rules while creating segments Can I do that in Adobe Analytics.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There are a few plugins that Adobe provides, I haven't used either of these, but I have seen others who have:

getTimeToComplete

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/gettimetocomplete.html...
This is based on firing a start and stop command

getTimeBetweenEvents

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/gettimebetweenevents.h...

This is based on looking at events that you are already firing and calculating the time between them.

Now, in your case, you are trying to get all time spend for User X (across visits) from entering the site until they add to the cart....

As far as I am aware, both of these plugins need to be within the same visit.... 

Given that Adobe's time spend is based solely on timestamps, I don't think that you can do this from a tagging solution... Adobe doesn't take into account "time spend off the site, or between visits"... if you were to look at those timestamps, all the time the user wasn't on your site would be calculated as part of the time spent....

I think in this case, you would need to take this out of Adobe, and use external tools...  You could use a combination of time spent by the visitor (up until the visit with a cart add) and using one of the above functions to track the time within a visit from start of visit until cart add... but you would also need to identify the first page of the visit to start the tracking, and then to trigger the stop on the cart.....

Or you could just take this fully out using Raw Data feeds (after processing the data), then stitching user data based on first visit timestamp until the last timestamp in the visit, and calculate everything up until the "add to cart" action.... 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There are a few plugins that Adobe provides, I haven't used either of these, but I have seen others who have:

getTimeToComplete

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/gettimetocomplete.html...
This is based on firing a start and stop command

getTimeBetweenEvents

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/gettimebetweenevents.h...

This is based on looking at events that you are already firing and calculating the time between them.

Now, in your case, you are trying to get all time spend for User X (across visits) from entering the site until they add to the cart....

As far as I am aware, both of these plugins need to be within the same visit.... 

Given that Adobe's time spend is based solely on timestamps, I don't think that you can do this from a tagging solution... Adobe doesn't take into account "time spend off the site, or between visits"... if you were to look at those timestamps, all the time the user wasn't on your site would be calculated as part of the time spent....

I think in this case, you would need to take this out of Adobe, and use external tools...  You could use a combination of time spent by the visitor (up until the visit with a cart add) and using one of the above functions to track the time within a visit from start of visit until cart add... but you would also need to identify the first page of the visit to start the tracking, and then to trigger the stop on the cart.....

Or you could just take this fully out using Raw Data feeds (after processing the data), then stitching user data based on first visit timestamp until the last timestamp in the visit, and calculate everything up until the "add to cart" action.... 

Community Advisor

Adobe Analytics does not provide a direct way to create a segment based on the active total time spent across multiple visits before adding an item to the cart. However, you can approximate this by creating a calculated metric and then using it in a segment. Here's how:

1. Go to Adobe Analytics Workspace and click on the "Components" tab.

2. Click on "Calculated Metrics" and then click on "Create New Metric."

3. Name your metric (e.g., "Total Time Spent"), and use the formula "Visit Duration" (or "Time Spent per Visit" if available) multiplied by "Visits" in the calculated metric builder. Click "Save" to save the metric.

4. Now, go back to the "Components" tab and click on "Segments."

5. Click on "Create New Segment."

6. In the segment builder, drag a "Visitor" container into the canvas.

7. Inside the "Visitor" container, add the "Total Time Spent" calculated metric you just created. Set the operator to "Greater than or equal to" and specify the minimum time spent in seconds (e.g., 45 seconds).

8. Inside the "Visitor" container, add an "Event" container. Choose the event that corresponds to "Add item to cart" in your implementation.

9. You can optionally add additional rules to further refine the segment (e.g., based on specific pages visited, devices used, etc.).

10. Name the segment (e.g., "Total Time Spent Before Adding Item to Cart") and click "Save."

This segment will include all visitors who have spent at least the specified amount of time on the website across their visits before adding an item to the cart. However, it does not differentiate between active and inactive time spent on the website.

Level 2

Hi Hemang, Thanks For the answer I have tried this approach but it seems that we can't bring the calculated metrics while creating segments if the metrics is created by us.

Community Advisor

You're welcome. That's correct, Adobe Analytics doesn't allow you to use a calculated metric directly in a segment if the metric was created by the user. However, there is a workaround for this issue. Instead of using the calculated metric directly in the segment, you can create a virtual report suite that includes the calculated metric, and then use that report suite in your segment. This way, you can indirectly use the calculated metric in your segment.