Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

"Unspecified" value in "Country" Dimension

Level 1

I am trying to look what country the website is getting its traffic from.

A trend that I see is Everyday if there 700 visits, and we break it down by "Country" Dimension, 653 visits are for the value "Unspecified" and rest are "USA, Canada".

I want to understand what is that "Unspecified" traffic.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Are you using the Adobe default "Countries" or a custom evar you've named "Country"?

If you're using the default, it should be populating using internal adobe rules to determine where customers are coming from (more info about it, https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/dimensions/countries.html?lang=en). There shouldn't be a high amount of unspecifieds unless there is some error happening with the internal processing. Unspecified typically means that there isn't a value assigned in that particular instance.

If you're using a custom evar instead of the default dimension, then whatever processing rule/evar you're using to capture the information might not be doing so accurately. If you've got a processing rule or classification, then whatever it's acting on isn't being categorized properly, resulting in unspecified values.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Are you using the Adobe default "Countries" or a custom evar you've named "Country"?

If you're using the default, it should be populating using internal adobe rules to determine where customers are coming from (more info about it, https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/dimensions/countries.html?lang=en). There shouldn't be a high amount of unspecifieds unless there is some error happening with the internal processing. Unspecified typically means that there isn't a value assigned in that particular instance.

If you're using a custom evar instead of the default dimension, then whatever processing rule/evar you're using to capture the information might not be doing so accurately. If you've got a processing rule or classification, then whatever it's acting on isn't being categorized properly, resulting in unspecified values.

Community Advisor

Also, have you enabled IP Obfuscation? Location information relies on the IP address to generate....

The other thing you can check is if you have Processing Rules or Vista rules manipulating the country values?