Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Product Classification for products with special characters

Level 1

These products have all been classified, but the classification is not taking.

2.4 Ft Bump ‘N Go Chucky Animatronic - Decorations
Ghost Face ® Call Me Double Sided Fleece Blanket
8-Bit Pokémon Sprite Lounge Pants

I know this is a drawback to using product name instead of sku# to classify, so i'm wondering:

- in the short-term, how can i get the classification for products with special characters to take

- in the medium-term, how can i get the primary key to change to sku# instead of product name

- in the long-term, what is required to set up a feed for auto-classification?

Thank you,

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I haven't worked with this myself, but have you tried escaping the special characters in your classification mapping?

So instead of:

try

2.4 Ft Bump \‘N Go Chucky Animatronic - Decorations

and instead of:

try

Ghost Face \® Call Me Double Sided Fleece Blanket

or maybe even try the encoded version of this character with:

Ghost Face %C2%AE Call Me Double Sided Fleece Blanket

or 

or

I don't know if that will work, but you can try...

In the medium term, I don't know if you are asking "technically" how to switch to using SKU (in which this is really just passing the SKU into your products list, in the product identifier position), or if you mean, is there any sort of prep work involved before making the switch... In this case, I would think (and again this depends on if you get the short term solution working) that the sooner you make the switch the better... I can't think of any prep work... I think it will be a matter of pulling off the band-aid...

As for Long Term, I don't use the classification importer much myself (I don't have a lot of long specific lists to classify in my implementation), but I believe that you can connect it to FTP, and newly uploaded files will trigger the classification importer...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I haven't worked with this myself, but have you tried escaping the special characters in your classification mapping?

So instead of:

try

2.4 Ft Bump \‘N Go Chucky Animatronic - Decorations

and instead of:

try

Ghost Face \® Call Me Double Sided Fleece Blanket

or maybe even try the encoded version of this character with:

Ghost Face %C2%AE Call Me Double Sided Fleece Blanket

or 

or

I don't know if that will work, but you can try...

In the medium term, I don't know if you are asking "technically" how to switch to using SKU (in which this is really just passing the SKU into your products list, in the product identifier position), or if you mean, is there any sort of prep work involved before making the switch... In this case, I would think (and again this depends on if you get the short term solution working) that the sooner you make the switch the better... I can't think of any prep work... I think it will be a matter of pulling off the band-aid...

As for Long Term, I don't use the classification importer much myself (I don't have a lot of long specific lists to classify in my implementation), but I believe that you can connect it to FTP, and newly uploaded files will trigger the classification importer...

Community Advisor

Special characters are irritating. Even that apostrophe in "Bump N Go" that is really a "smart quote".

You can try using UTF-16 as your classification's encoding. Also, try setting v2.1 in the Classifications import data file (at cell C1, if you're editing it in Excel), if you're using Classification Importer.