Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Need to delete s_vi cookie but it keeps getting regenerated (Launch AA ext.) One Trust Cookie Consent

Level 2

Hi,

I have an interesting situation. We are implementing one trust cookie consent. One of the requirements is when a user opts out of tracking, I'm still required to have the s object but it can't make a server call. I'm using an s.abort in the AA ext. to do that. I know it sounds weird but some of our web apps have other logic that relies on data from the s object. What I noticed is when the user is opted out, the s_vi cookie gets deleted by my code but it is regenerated by I'm assuming the s object? We do have ECID and are passing in previous permissions for AA, AT and AAM. Is there a way to stop the s_vi cookie from being regenerated, if the s object still exists?

Thanks!

MJ

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You may have to talk to client care... cause I don't know anyway to stop that cookie from being generated.... 

If you are using the Opt-in / Opt-Out settings in the Visitor ID Service with connectivity to your Trust settings, and it's not doing what you want....

I don't think manually deleting the cookies is going to yield the results you want, since the system is trying to ensure you don't lose user traceability.... 

So far, no one at my company has talked about cookie consent policies, it'll be coming, but we are in the middle of a massive site migration project and no one has the bandwidth to even discuss this yet.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Community Advisor

I don't know of any way to stop the cookies from being set..

Maybe I am missing something, but if you aren't sending a beacon, what difference does having the s_vi cookie there or not make? You aren't tracking the user, and there's no real difference between the s_vi and the ecid aside from the value that is assigned to it....

Level 2

It has to do with Bill 64 in Canada. Even though we aren't sending it, we still have to delete tracking cookies or we will get large fines.

Community Advisor

The ECID is also a "tracking cookie" (in fact it is the main Adobe cookie) so again, I don't understand the difference (why is ecid ok and s_vi not okay?).. I am in Canada, so far no one has asked me to make any changes to our tracking.

Level 2

We are deleting all cookies, including s_ecid. 

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You may have to talk to client care... cause I don't know anyway to stop that cookie from being generated.... 

If you are using the Opt-in / Opt-Out settings in the Visitor ID Service with connectivity to your Trust settings, and it's not doing what you want....

I don't think manually deleting the cookies is going to yield the results you want, since the system is trying to ensure you don't lose user traceability.... 

So far, no one at my company has talked about cookie consent policies, it'll be coming, but we are in the middle of a massive site migration project and no one has the bandwidth to even discuss this yet.

Community Advisor

So I just did a very quick test, I turn on "Opt-In"... forced the "last behaviour" for ecid and analytics to false, and added a condition in my tracking rule for:

if (adobe.optIn.isApproved("analytics")){
  return true;
}

No ECID was set, no s_ anything was set... no tracking occurred.

Obviously I would need a consent controller rather than forcing to "false" all the time... so that people that consent would get the tracking....

But here are my settings:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1689982348616.png

Community Advisor

I don't really need the "pre-opt-in approvals" when I pass the previous permission in... 

But you will have to integrate with your consent tool anyway to make this work... 

Community Advisor

You too! Good Luck getting your consent management set up.. I know I will have to do this eventually too...