Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Multiple Adobe Analytics Server Calls

Level 2

Hi Team,

I am seeing multiple server calls whenever we load the page, can some one help us what is the solution for it.

Thanks in Advance 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There could be many reasons, and depending on the root cause this will change the solution.

First off, are all the server calls "page views"? I've seen some implementations where there is one page view call, and several "action" calls (for various assets that are appearing on the page such as overlays and banners and other containers).

While I don't agree with this type of tracking (since this will use up the server call budget much faster) sometimes there is no other option because those elements don't exist when the page loaded and there is no way to know they should be there until they actually show up); I always try to ensure that the decision drivers for elements are as up front as possible so that I can combine them into my "page view" (each element having specific tracking associated to it and all part of a single server call).

However, if you are seeing multiple page views, this is a big problem as not only are you incurring more costs unnecessarily, you are also inflating your Page Views and Reloads metrics.

In either case, having multiple server calls on the page will break your default Bounce Rate (which is "Single Server Call per Visit"), but you can compensate for that if you have 1 PV and multiple Actions by creating a custom "Bounce Rate" (which would be "Single Page View per Visit").

The first thing you need to do is figure out what each of those calls are.... are they page views, or a page view and actions?

Next, you need to figure out what is being tracked in each of these (in the case of page view and actions, there could be a lot of duplicate data for correlation - this is fine, since you want context around the action, but there should be one or more pieces of data that define the specific action).

Next, you need to understand what is triggering these items.. you can use the Satellite Debug to see which Adobe Launch Rules are being triggered:

// Turn ON Debugging
_satellite.setDebug(true);

// Turn OFF Debugging
_satellite.setDebug(false);

^ You can run the proper command in your Browsers' console, when you load the page, you will see a lot of logging and debugging information appear that can help you track down what is happening.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There could be many reasons, and depending on the root cause this will change the solution.

First off, are all the server calls "page views"? I've seen some implementations where there is one page view call, and several "action" calls (for various assets that are appearing on the page such as overlays and banners and other containers).

While I don't agree with this type of tracking (since this will use up the server call budget much faster) sometimes there is no other option because those elements don't exist when the page loaded and there is no way to know they should be there until they actually show up); I always try to ensure that the decision drivers for elements are as up front as possible so that I can combine them into my "page view" (each element having specific tracking associated to it and all part of a single server call).

However, if you are seeing multiple page views, this is a big problem as not only are you incurring more costs unnecessarily, you are also inflating your Page Views and Reloads metrics.

In either case, having multiple server calls on the page will break your default Bounce Rate (which is "Single Server Call per Visit"), but you can compensate for that if you have 1 PV and multiple Actions by creating a custom "Bounce Rate" (which would be "Single Page View per Visit").

The first thing you need to do is figure out what each of those calls are.... are they page views, or a page view and actions?

Next, you need to figure out what is being tracked in each of these (in the case of page view and actions, there could be a lot of duplicate data for correlation - this is fine, since you want context around the action, but there should be one or more pieces of data that define the specific action).

Next, you need to understand what is triggering these items.. you can use the Satellite Debug to see which Adobe Launch Rules are being triggered:

// Turn ON Debugging
_satellite.setDebug(true);

// Turn OFF Debugging
_satellite.setDebug(false);

^ You can run the proper command in your Browsers' console, when you load the page, you will see a lot of logging and debugging information appear that can help you track down what is happening.