Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Analytics Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Mobile Visitor but using Desktop View

Level 1

Hi, 

May I know how the visits will be captured if a visitor from mobile but viewing as desktop view, will the visit be captured as mobile visits or non-mobile visits? 

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This all depends on what dimensions / definitions you are using....

From the standard "Device" and "Device Type" perspective, if the user is on a mobile device it will record as that... and if you definition uses those dimensions, then it will also be treated like a mobile visit.

In my own implementation, I use the standard device tracking as above, but I also have a custom eVar tracking the "responsive breakpoint" of the site. I know that the site has set display breakpoints at specific screen widths... so I have a simple script:

var breakpoint;
if (window.innerWidth <= X) {
  breakpoint = "mobile";
}
else if (window.innerWidth >= Y) {
  breakpoint = "desktop";
}
else {
  breakpoint = "tablet";
}
return breakpoint;

Replace X with the maxium pixel width that designate the mobile experience (i.e. let's say 750 for example), set Y with the minimum pixel width for the desktop experience (let's say 1000 for example), then anything that is between the two will be caught by the else for tablet experience....

If you have multiple sizes such as portrait mobile, landscape mobile, portrait tablet, landscape table, small desktop, large desktop, etc... you can add more clauses to check "else if (window.innerWidth >= W && window.innerWidth <= Z)" to check for additional widths....

Then you can create reports by device or reports by the "breakpoint experience".

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This all depends on what dimensions / definitions you are using....

From the standard "Device" and "Device Type" perspective, if the user is on a mobile device it will record as that... and if you definition uses those dimensions, then it will also be treated like a mobile visit.

In my own implementation, I use the standard device tracking as above, but I also have a custom eVar tracking the "responsive breakpoint" of the site. I know that the site has set display breakpoints at specific screen widths... so I have a simple script:

var breakpoint;
if (window.innerWidth <= X) {
  breakpoint = "mobile";
}
else if (window.innerWidth >= Y) {
  breakpoint = "desktop";
}
else {
  breakpoint = "tablet";
}
return breakpoint;

Replace X with the maxium pixel width that designate the mobile experience (i.e. let's say 750 for example), set Y with the minimum pixel width for the desktop experience (let's say 1000 for example), then anything that is between the two will be caught by the else for tablet experience....

If you have multiple sizes such as portrait mobile, landscape mobile, portrait tablet, landscape table, small desktop, large desktop, etc... you can add more clauses to check "else if (window.innerWidth >= W && window.innerWidth <= Z)" to check for additional widths....

Then you can create reports by device or reports by the "breakpoint experience".

Community Advisor

I should add, using the "View as Desktop" feature on a phone really just opens the browser up to use the full resolution of your device.

In order to keep text and other website data more viewable, mobile browsers just remap the resolution of the screen down.... 

If you have ever used Chrome's mobile emulation mode, and when you choose a device, it will show you what that resolution is.. for example, the iPhone 12 Pro browser is a resolution of 390x844; The Pixel 5 is 393x851

While you can also use Adobe's standard resolution dimension, you cannot create classifications on this, so it's harder to use... hence why a custom solution like above is better - you can target the values to match specifically your own site's behaviour and create all the needed designations.