Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

In which scenarios, or what type of fields, would you want to tag a specific field

Level 1

We have a sales process where we tag each PAGE so we can see when a user dropped off the journey. What I want to know is, in which scenarios would it be useful to tag a specific FIELD? Do you track any FIELDS on your website/application? Why? What is the use case?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I'd say that it depends on what business question you want answers for. For example: (I assume you're referring to form fields, when you say "field")

• Which required fields are users interacting with?
  • What was the last field that users interacted with before submitting the form?
  • Which fields are causing the form to fail to submit?
  • Which optional fields are users interacting with?
  • etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I'd say that it depends on what business question you want answers for. For example: (I assume you're referring to form fields, when you say "field")

• Which required fields are users interacting with?
  • What was the last field that users interacted with before submitting the form?
  • Which fields are causing the form to fail to submit?
  • Which optional fields are users interacting with?
  • etc.

Community Advisor

Other considerations on form fields.. what is the actual "trigger" for the tracking and does that fire each time or only once?

Triggers could be "onfocus" (in or out), or "keypress", etc.... I would recommend against keypress (unless you only track the first keypress - otherwise you will be sending way too much data). 

Looking at focus could have a similar behaviour.. as users would go back into fields to make changes....

You really need to understand what kind of data you are trying to pull and report on, and also look at how many server calls this tracking will generate... you don't want to use up your server call allocation, then have to pay overage charges; then find out the data you are collecting isn't being used, or isn't answering the needs of your business.

Another option could be to collect interaction data (store in an object) while the form is open about what fields are being interacted with, then pass that information as part of the form submit. It would keep your server calls down, but get you some basic info about the fields.... but again, this solution may not work for your needs; which must be evaluated first before trying to create a solution.