Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to create a venn chart for different mediums

Level 5

Hi everybody!

I need to create a venn chart where I have the users from our app, the web, and the users that end up using both mediums.

We have a universal report suite and an eVar (in that RS) that gets each report suite separately (app and web). So I created two separate segments with our app and web RS but once I create the venn chart, it did not show me the users that cross over between those channels. how can I be having this visualization properly?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK - then, my next question is: Are you sending the cross-device tracking?  When I say that, you need to be implementing the Adobe Org Id in your URL Query String.  Some of the documentation may found here:
https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/documentation/mobile-core/identity/#visitor-tracking-between... (Thank you, @Jennifer_Dungan).
The string will look something like this adobe_mc=TS%3D1607441030%XXXXXXXX%3D562695031XXXXXX76101150174457885561622%7CMCAID%3D2E43E234XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX22E001283E%7CMCORGID%3D371C27E253DB0F910A490D4E%40AdobeOrg
Please note: This will ONLY work going from Native Mobile to Web.  Not the other way.

Jeff Bloomer

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Community Advisor

In your sentence above, you say "each report suite separately for App and Web."

Do you truly have two separate report suites for Native Mobile and Web that you are are consolidating in a Global Report suite, or have you truly moved both into a single report suite?  I cannot advise further until I have clarification on this piece first.

Jeff Bloomer

Level 5

Sorry, I just realized I didn't explain it well..
We have a global report suite in which we send all data from all websites and apps there (each site/app also has its own RS), like a master report suite. this is the one I've been trying to create the venn chart. 

But in order to identify inside this global report which data is from each platform, with have an eVar called report suite that allows us to know the data from each channel so as to compare them.. 

Sorry, Still think I'm confusing here.  ahha

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK - then, my next question is: Are you sending the cross-device tracking?  When I say that, you need to be implementing the Adobe Org Id in your URL Query String.  Some of the documentation may found here:
https://developer.adobe.com/client-sdks/documentation/mobile-core/identity/#visitor-tracking-between... (Thank you, @Jennifer_Dungan).
The string will look something like this adobe_mc=TS%3D1607441030%XXXXXXXX%3D562695031XXXXXX76101150174457885561622%7CMCAID%3D2E43E234XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX22E001283E%7CMCORGID%3D371C27E253DB0F910A490D4E%40AdobeOrg
Please note: This will ONLY work going from Native Mobile to Web.  Not the other way.

Jeff Bloomer

Community Advisor

And I will add to @jeff_bloomer's answer, by saying this "user stitching" only happens when/if users follow a web link from the mobile app... if the user uses the app in full isolation of the website, this will not stitch the user together... 

This is a problem for everyone.

One of our solutions was to use our Raw Data feeds, and to stitch our logged-in users (because we have user GUIDs that we can match users on) and created a report outside of Adobe for this purpose.

Community Advisor

You also have another possibility to do tracking that could be considered a little more unorthodox by doing Internal Campaign Tracking.  This would be done by implementing an eVar that can be tracked just like Tracking Code is done now.  I can explain more, if this interests you.

Jeff Bloomer

Level 5

thank you @Jennifer_Dungan and @jeff_bloomer !!

So in our case, we have an eVar also with a User ID when the user is logged in. So I can already create a table where I see each user ID and the visits for that specific ID to the app and to the web.. but I would like to know the total cross over.. so how many of those users actually use both the app and web.

Community Advisor

Yes, the problem is, even if you are collecting your User ID.. if your website and app are identifying as different UVs, the Venn Diagram will never show the overlap (since it works on Adobe's user identification only).... this is why we had to take it outside of Adobe.

You could try using Excel Report Builder and using the User ID as the primary identifier... 

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan is correct.  With a Website and Mobile App report suite being separate, they will both generate different User IDs for your customers, which is why you are encountering the exact problem you have outlined above.  That's why you have to implement the cross-device tracking code in your URL when coming over from the Mobile App.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this going in the opposite direction; however, as I stated before, I have done other things using Internal Campaign Tracking to perform similar analyses to get around that problem.

Jeff Bloomer

Level 5

Thank you so much for clarifying that. Im looking into the documentation you shared.

Just a PS, that I don't know if I managed to explain correctly. In our case, I´m not (yet) trying to track the mobile web content that was open inside the app - but will need that in the future. Right now our app and website are accessed separately. you cannot even reach the website from within the app. and we have a single report suite that gets the data from both of them (and other products we have). 

But I understood that to use the venn chart I´ll need the Adobe ID. already checked with the team and we have the code in the SDK already. 

Community Advisor

Some of your information is contradictory...

You say that your app and website are accessed separately, and that you cannot reach the website from the app... but you are looking for people who access the website from the app?

Do you mean, you don't have any links from the app to the website, but that you have app webviews that can open website pages inside the app?

Those pages are tracked as "website" and you want to see which ones were accessed through the app correct?

If so, I have another option for you:
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/events/the-skill-exchange-recordings/analytics/sept2021/anal...
Start around timestamp 23:00

I had our developers modify the User Agent similar to how a lot of social media apps so, then I have rules in my website implementation to look for that modification. It doesn't break the user agent identification, this is a standard practice to append [xxxx] at the end.

This tip starts with Social Media, but then goes broader to include your own app (around 31:00)

This means you don't need to append values into your URLs, it's all invisible / behind the scenes. (then you can still use the cross-device tracking that Jeff mention to try and stitch the ECIDs)

Level 5

So let me see if I can explain it better

You say that your app and website are accessed separately, and that you cannot reach the website from the app... but you are looking for people who access the website from the app?

our main product is the website. there users can do many actions such as check coupons, see the usage of their contracts, etc. 

then we also have the website for the same product. But not all the features I have from the app can be done on the web and vice versa. 

Sometimes the user would rather use the app to use some features, like getting a coupon code, but sometimes they would rather access it from a desktop and change their contract there. 

both platforms use the same login system, so once the users are in the private area, their user ID is the same (this ID is unique to each user). I can see already that some IDs only use the web, others only use the app, and some IDs (users) sometimes access the app but sometimes the web (usually from a desktop).

So now we need to know how many users use both the app and the web,  and that is why we thought to use the Venn chart, so we would have on one side the app users, the web, and the interpolation of the users that access both platforms. 

We do have a single report suite that gets the data from both of them. But we also have a separate report suite for each one. 
I hope I've not been confusing still.

Community Advisor

OK, then at this time you cannot create a Venn diagram inside Adobe...

Regardless of users logging in and having a unique system ID, unless you have CJA and the ability to group by the "People" Metric, Adobe Analytics will only create Venn Diagrams based on the UV, and your UVs will be recorded as different users between your app and your website.

The only way to get around that (and it's only a partial solution) is linking App to Web traffic to force the ECID (the UV identifier) to match in both versions.

We have the same issue.. the only way we could get a Venn (and then only for logged in users) was to take the data external to Adobe and map our User IDs / GUIDs and create a Venn only for registered users.