Expand my Community achievements bar.

Exclude unique visits that come from specific url

Level 1

Hi,

I have a webpage that has multiple pages.

Is there a way to exclude the count of unique visitors on the subpages if the browser used a link on the main page to get to the subpage?

5 Replies

Level 10

I gather you have a single url with multiple "virtual" pages, passing the same page name (case 1). Or perhaps you have multiple urls all passing the same page name (case 2). Users can get to the sub-pages without first going to the "parent" page, so you can't just UV for the page name to ge UV for just the "parent" page.

Is there is some other variable beside page name to differentiate the pages? For example, for case 1 we pass a page number in a different variable. In that case, we could isolate the UV for any given page by taking page name and breaking it down by the page number, for example "1". For caes 2, we might use the URL.

Community Advisor

I am confused by the qualifier "if the browser used a link on the main page to get to the subpage"

• Do you mean that you only want uses who hit Page A, but not if they hit Page B....
  • Or are you trying to exclude specifically users who directly click from Page A to open Page B (exact sequence)
  • Or are you thinking that if a User hits Page A AND Page B that this will inflate your stats and you are trying to compensate for it?

Knowing the end goal of your request will help us to help you better.

Level 1

HI Jennifer,

Trying to compensate for inflated stats.
So if a client links from Page A to B it is not counted on B

Community Advisor

Then you shouldn't need to do anything... it's the same visitor... At the "page" level in your report, each page will show a Unique Visitor, but the total for all the pages as a whole will still show one UV..

Like so:

Visitor (Visit 1):

• Page A
  • Page B
  • Page C

Visitor (Visit 2):

• Page C
  • Page B
  • Page C

Page Views Visits Unique Visitor
Pages 6 2 1
    Page A 1 1 1
    Page B 2 2 1
    Page C 3 2 1

As you can see, Adobe will show the granular data at each page, but the same Visitor hitting multiple pages won't count against the total UVs.

Unless of course you are talking about 2 different websites (subdomains) using different tracking suites? If both sites are tracked to the same suite, and are using ECID then the Visitor should be identified between the sites.

But if you are using different suites (and adding the numbers together), then each suite will count the user as a UV and you will see inflated stats... but you will always get this, and you won't be able to compensate for that fully... even if you accounted for direct links between the sites, separate visits to the subdomains could never be compensated...

Community Advisor

Do you mean to say that you don't want to count the unique visitors coming in to page by clicking on a link on the landing page/entry page?