Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Classify typed/bookmarked and referral traffic

Level 4

Hi,

In some of our report suites, in our campaign reports (Campaign > Tracking code) we have a classification called Channel which captures the topline channels of our marketing activity like PPC, SEO, Email etc. These rules are set by the Classification Rule Builder. One of the topline channels is called Direct Traffic. Direct Traffic is a combination of typed/bookmarked traffic and all other referrer traffic (basically, all traffic without a tracking code).

This report suite was create about five years ago, before I joined the company, and the person who created it no longer works here. So, I am trying to figure out how they managed to classify traffic without a tracking code (there is no rule in the Classification Rule Builder for it). I've spoken to Adobe Customer Care and they've said it isn't possible, so I was hoping maybe someone in the community could help.

Thanks,

Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello Frank,

The option i can think is via Classification Browser Import.

If he has uploaded ~none~ key mapped with Direct Traffic, the unspecified category filtered out from Classifcation Rule Builder will be bucketed under Direct Traffic.

Sorry, there might be some other way, but just to give some idea, I have posted my thoughts.

Thank You!

Arun

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 4

Hi Frank,

There are several ways I can see this happening, can you send me a list of all your classification rules or screenshot, you may private message me if you will rather be discreet, I'll review and then we can walk our way backwards to other possibilities.

Level 4

Here are the classification rules for the 'Channel' classification:

Channel classification rules.JPG

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello Frank,

The option i can think is via Classification Browser Import.

If he has uploaded ~none~ key mapped with Direct Traffic, the unspecified category filtered out from Classifcation Rule Builder will be bucketed under Direct Traffic.

Sorry, there might be some other way, but just to give some idea, I have posted my thoughts.

Thank You!

Arun

Level 4

Thanks Arun.

That is what I thought as well but Customer Care told me it was impossible to classify blank values (all the none values are blank in the importer because they have no tracking code).

I might test this on one of our smaller sites.

Thanks.

Frank

Community Advisor

Dear Frank,

I am 100% sure that we can classify 'None' or 'unspecified' values under the key mapping we define. Have done it for my clients and they are perfect. Cheers for your test practice.

Thank You!

Arun

Level 4

Thankjs.

To do this, do I just need to upload a file into the classification importer where the tracking code is empty and set a value in one of the classifications? for example:

classification.JPG

Thanks.

Level 4

I uploaded the file above but got the follow confirmation message:

CLassification importer confirmation.JPG

It seems like it didn't work but I'm not sure.

Did I do it correctly?

Thanks.

Community Advisor

Dear Frank,

Key should be ~none~ and not empty.

Kindly re-upload and wait for 24 to 48 hours to see the result. Kindly do it in Development or Test Report Suite.

Thank You!

Arun

Level 4

Thank you.

Unfortunately, none of our test report suites have any data in them. Is there a quick, easy way to create a copy of an existing report suite with the data in it?

Thanks,

Frank

Community Advisor

Dear Frank,

That is not easy. You need to contact Customer Care to do and it will involve time & cost(hopefully).

Go ahead and try it in Production. Even if there is any issues, we can re-upload the classification.

Thank You!

Arun

Level 10

Hi Frank -

Are you guys using Marketing Channel Reports?  Seems like those reports would provide the level of reporting you are looking for and you are able to break out direct from referral traffic.

Thanks -

Sarah

Level 2

Hi Frank,

There are multiple things that are affecting that classification. First of all to @SarahEOwen's point, you need to go to the admin tool, select your report suite EditSettings/MarketingChannels/MarketingChannelProcessingRules. You can create under that a processing rule at the end that is a all catch like "if referring domain exists". Once you have created all your processing rules (you first need to create new channels using the Step1 Channel Manager). Then you have to define the elements under EditSettings/Conversion/ConversionClassification and enable all the classifications under Campaign. Last step is to go under the admin tool and create the classification rule builder based on all the previous steps created.

Let me know if this makes sense!