Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

CJA: Attribution in metrics or persistence in dimensions.

Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am recently working on CJA, I am confused as to what I should use to correctly attribute sales to my marketing campaigns, whether to set up attribution in metrics or whether to set up persistence in dimensions, I would like to know the difference between the two and when to use one or the other, or what is the best practice for Cross-channel analytics.

Thanks.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Great question! The amazing advantage of using attribution at the dimension level is the ability to break other dimensions down without having to care about metric settings. On the downside, while we can change a metric's attribution on the fly, we can't do the same with dimensions (yet) in Workspace.

My personal approach: Consider what is considered "normal" for your stakeholders (like the default 30 days from AA, maybe 7 days, or even person-level) and create dimensions with those expirations applied. Amazingly, we can add the same dimension multiple times, so you can experiment with the window size. If you are using Derived Fields, you don't even have to worry about increasing the number of used fields, as this won't count towards the limit.

Once you have those dimensions set up and start using them in your org, you can teach people how to change the metric settings on the fly for anyone who likes to experiment and get many perspectives.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

I don't have CJA, but in Adobe Analytics Marketing Campaigns are use persistence on the dimension, but technically, you can also apply attribution on the metric to extend beyond the originally specified attribution...

For instance, Marketing Channels are set by default to 30 days, but in our implementation, we changed this to 7 days... however, if needed, I can set my Orders to a 30 day attribution against the Marketing Channel if I need to see a longer view of the data.

I think the biggest factor for you is how people in the company are going to be using the data... will the users know and remember to set up attribution models on the metrics? Or is it easier to provide a persisted dimension?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Great question! The amazing advantage of using attribution at the dimension level is the ability to break other dimensions down without having to care about metric settings. On the downside, while we can change a metric's attribution on the fly, we can't do the same with dimensions (yet) in Workspace.

My personal approach: Consider what is considered "normal" for your stakeholders (like the default 30 days from AA, maybe 7 days, or even person-level) and create dimensions with those expirations applied. Amazingly, we can add the same dimension multiple times, so you can experiment with the window size. If you are using Derived Fields, you don't even have to worry about increasing the number of used fields, as this won't count towards the limit.

Once you have those dimensions set up and start using them in your org, you can teach people how to change the metric settings on the fly for anyone who likes to experiment and get many perspectives.