Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Challenge/Question: How many times did the same visitor have the same event (hit) twice, thrice, etc. in the same year?

Level 2

Hello, looking for some feedback/thoughts on how I might build a particular custom segment. The business question is, how many visitors did X event action once, twice, thrice, etc in a 12 month period? We have a custom variable for this event and has an instance counter that I can pair with it as well.

Let's say John comes to our site and clicks on this particular button in March, then does this again in October. Mary and Frank (2 different visitors) come to our site and do the same actions in March, August, and December. David comes to our site and does this action once in October.

I'm thinking "Visitor Number" correlated with the segment would give me what I'm looking for, so with the examples above in mind, I'd want my freeform output would look something like this:

Visit Number 1 = 1

Visit Number 2 = 1

Visit Number 3 = 2 

I have tried a few different things within segment builder but I'm not too confident with them yet. I was wondering if the community had any suggestions or feedback?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 1

Dear FletcherW,

What was the custom variable used here? If you have used a counter eVar, then the answer should be upfront by just using the Variable and Unique Visitor as metric.

If you have event captured on each action, then just create segments with Visitor Container equals 1, 2 ,3 etc for the custom event, simple as that.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee

How about use a segment with two conditions?

For example, set a "Visitor" container, the conditions are "Visit Number = 1" and "Visit Number != 2".

Then you could filter the visitor who only have Visit Number 1.

Correct answer by
Level 1

Dear FletcherW,

What was the custom variable used here? If you have used a counter eVar, then the answer should be upfront by just using the Variable and Unique Visitor as metric.

If you have event captured on each action, then just create segments with Visitor Container equals 1, 2 ,3 etc for the custom event, simple as that.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

Level 2

Apologies, I clicked on the "correct answer" button when I meant to reply. Oh well, I hope you will humor  a follow-up question 

I don't have access to the exact settings so I might not answer your exact question, but its an evar it has a counter metric for each hit that it receives. However, that evar is used in other places as well, and cares for number of other values/scenarios other than the one I need it to equal. For example I need  "evar1 =  Sign_UpPlus", while there are other use cases for "evar1 = PayConfirm", I need it to equal the exact value (in this scenario "evar1 =  Sign_UpPlus"). 

I'm having a hard time with the data output as it stands right now. It's like the visit number dimension paired with the visitor segment is giving me the visit number for the visitor when said event occurred. Example, I go to this news site everyday but I only participate in the survey polls maybe 3 times a year. I don't care that it was my 4th visit when this action occurred, I want to know it was the 4th time I did a poll. 

I want to see that visitor did something once, twice, thrice, etc. less so than what their visit number was when they did the action.