Expand my Community achievements bar.

Capture multiple values via Classifications?

Level 2

Hi, I'm working with Classifications, which have proven to be very useful when it comes to give more value to our data. We are facing now a challenge, though: some of the classifications might come with multiple values on the same cell. For instance, let's imagine we have an activity ID, which is captured on an eVar, then we use classifications to give this activity more attributes:

•  Key: activityID

• activityName: Webinar on shoe industry in Germany and France
    • activityType: Webinar
    • activityMarket: Germany, France

The problem is that, although I could split that activityMarket into two, I need to allocate them on the same classification level (activityMarket, in this example). I cannot create another classification with the same name, and create a different one, like activityMarket2, would not be useful for us as we need to breakdown only by activityMarket and allocate all values there.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks a lot.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10

Help me understand.

You cannot do this:

• activityName: Webinar on shoe industry in Germany and France
  • activityType: Webinar
  • activityMarket2: Germany

But if you get:

• activityMarket: Germany, UK
  • activityMarket: Germany, Italy

You want a value to see the total allocation for Germany.

• activityMarket: Germany, France     5
  • activityMarket: Germany, UK           2
  • activityMarket: Germany, Italy         1

So in the above, you want to see Germany = 8, UK =2, etc.

Is that correct?

Level 2

Hi @RobertBlakeley , it is as follows: imagine we have 3 activities that receive, on their activityMarket classification, the following values in one simple cell:

- activityMarket (for activity 1): Germany, France

- activityMarket (for activity 2): German, UK

- activityMarket (for activity 3): UK, Italy, Germany

When we use activityMarket in Workspace, we would like to have:

- activityMarket:

• Germany: 3
  • UK: 2
  • France: 1
  • Italy: 1

I hope now it's easier to understand.

Level 10

You can always filter the activityMarket report by Germany, UK, etc .and use the report totals value.

I don't think you can use a list variable as that only applies to the parent variable, not the classification.

You could use a sub-classification but if you could do that, you could probably also do an activityMarket2. So that does not seem to be an option.

I am out of ideas.

Level 2

Yeah, unfortunately I came to the same conclusion, that I could not use List variables either and that I could only use filters. However, that would not allow me to see, for instance, which markets had the highest number of occurrences.

Thank you anyway for your help! Hopefully somebody else can come up with a different approach.

Community Advisor

I'd probably play with using segments for each of your markets (if activityMarket contains Germany).  Otherwise, might be better to use a list variable.

Level 2

Hi @Josh__Stephens , thanks for the answer but unfortunately that would only allow me to search data for a market (or some) in particular, but it would not let me see a full ranking.

I guess that Lists will be my only choice, so now my question would be whether it is possible to make a list out of a classification value (and not the other way around, which I know it is possible).