Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Breaking a long Tracking Code into several Evars

Level 3

My tracking code is cmp=<a-value-of-characteristic-1>_<a-value-of-characteristic-2>_<a-value-of-characteristic-3>.

Note that an underscore _ separates those three parts of the tracking code.  Each characteristic (1, 2, and 3) can have many different values.  For example, characteristic-1 might be the publisher, characteristic-2 might be the banner size, and characteristic-3 might be the banner's message.

For example, it could be cmp=hgtv_200x140_bigsale

I want to keep cmp as a long string for the tracking code report, but I also want three new evars - one for characteristic-1, another evar for characteristic-2, and another evar for characteristic-3.

In other words, I want to end up with a report on just all the publishers, another report on all the banner sizes, and another report all the banner messages.

Hope this makes sense.  How do I create three evars from different parts of the underscore-delimited value of the tracking code?

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi,

you do not need to create additional eVars this is a typical case for Classification Rule Builder.
1. Create a Conversion Classification for your Campaign Variable (Report Suites -> Edit Settings -> Conversion Classifications) 
2. Go to Classification Rule Builder and create a new rule. 
3. Now you have to RegEx for your required values something like:

Rule Type                Match Criteria            Set Classification        To

RegEx                     ^(.*)_(.*)_(.*)$             Publisher                     $1 
RegEx                     ^(.*)_(.*)_(.*)$             Banner Size                $2 
RegEx        
             ^(.*)_(.*)_(.*)$             Banner Msg                $3 

Now you can break down by your campaign code and all three classifications.

I hope this helps.

Best 
Simon

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi,

you do not need to create additional eVars this is a typical case for Classification Rule Builder.
1. Create a Conversion Classification for your Campaign Variable (Report Suites -> Edit Settings -> Conversion Classifications) 
2. Go to Classification Rule Builder and create a new rule. 
3. Now you have to RegEx for your required values something like:

Rule Type                Match Criteria            Set Classification        To

RegEx                     ^(.*)_(.*)_(.*)$             Publisher                     $1 
RegEx                     ^(.*)_(.*)_(.*)$             Banner Size                $2 
RegEx        
             ^(.*)_(.*)_(.*)$             Banner Msg                $3 

Now you can break down by your campaign code and all three classifications.

I hope this helps.

Best 
Simon