Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Analytics Double Server Calls When Iframe

Level 1

Hi Team,

I two server calls in network tab, one of the page which has iframe loading another page which contains same Adobe Launch Code.

Is this treated server double call, or are they mutually exclusive. How do I avoid the second call that is happening via iframe content. Consider WEB SDK here for the solution

Thanks for you support

Regards

Ganesh

4 Replies

Level 4

Hi Ganesh,

Are you seeing two pageview calls or one page view and one Non-Pageview call?

Does the iframe have a different Pagename and URL?

You can limit the call in Adobe Launch Data Collection by following these steps:

1. Identify the Rule that triggers the iframe call.
  2. Put a condition in the rule, Custom Code: If it is not an iframe, return true; if it is an iframe, return false (you'll need to find a reliable method to identify iframes loaded in JavaScript).
  3. Then publish it in the dev environment and check if the second call is triggered

Level 1

Hi Vinoth, thanks for your reply. Let me be more precise.

Scenario: There are two pages with Page A & Page B, both having same consider it to be having same appmeasurement code collecting pageviews separately, The pages being migrated to WEB SDK.

Now What I noticed is that - Page B is being reference in Page A as "iframe" and in network call I can see that it has two pageview call, is that a duplicate call, is my first question. 

Second, if so how to handle it in WEB SDK as we are in migration. Thanks

Community Advisor

First, I hate iframe which is very old-school stuff and problematic for web analytics.

They are double server calls as both page A and page B have tracking codes implemented and triggered to capture their page views.

Per Vinoth's suggestion you can create a condition to check if the current page is embedded in an iframe and skip the tracking if it is true. However, one more consideration is that if there is navigation within page B going to page C which is still within the same iframe, you will not have tracking for page C and no idea about such navigation since you skipped the embedded page view tracking.

My past practice is letting both page views be triggered, yet it increases cost as more server calls and even has issues with bounce rate measurement if they are a landing page.

However, the actual approach depends on your website design and how substantial the hosting page and the embedded page are. If the hosting page contains only the header and footer, where major contents are on the embedded page, you may skip the hosting page view tracking. If the embedded page is only a small piece of dedicated content without in-frame navigation (think about the YouTube iframe player), you may skip the embedded page view tracking. However, if both the hosting page and the embedded page have a similar share of contents and navigation, you may consider having both tracked.