Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Product Views not on Product Detail Page

Level 2

I am trying to decide how to handle Product Views on pages that are not the actual Product Detail page. We have many locations on the site that allow a user to "add to cart" from a page that is not a Product Detail page, however our implementation only captures the Product View from the Product Detail page. Wanted to see what others thought about firing Product View outside the normal Product Detail page.

1 Reply

Level 2

This is an ancient query, but I'll respond in case anyone else has the same question. 
We have a similar situation.  Our website has product list pages where users can add to bag directly from the list, rather than having to view the full product detail page (for single colour/size products usually). 
In these cases I always set the Product View event (prodView) at the same time as the add to bag event (scAdd) so that these 'direct' add to bag events don't skew the funnel metrics. 

If we didn't set the Product View event, then for some products it might appear that they are unreasonably excellent converters, e.g. if customers viewed the product detail page 100 times and added to cart 50 times, but also added to cart directly from the list page 450 times, then the view>add conversion rate would seem to be 500%!  (i.e. 50+450 cart adds/100 'full' prodviews) 
By setting the product view event alongside the add to bag event it still results in 100% conversion for the add-to-carts that were done from the list page, but the overall result for this example would be a more reasonable  90.9%.  (50+450 cart adds)/(100 'full' prodviews +450 'list prodviews').

We don't record a product view for every product in the list page, when it is viewed, because we don't consider the list page view to be a real 'product view'.  (If we did, then the conversion rates would be skewed the other way and would appear to be very small, as every product in the list would have a 'view' event every time the list was seen).

In the past we've also had 'quick view' popouts allowing users to add to bag without leaving the list page.  In these cases we set a 'prodView' event when the quickview popout is opened which gives a more reasonable conversion rate.