Expand my Community achievements bar.

Registration for the AEM Guides User conference on 24th and 25th March 2024 is open.

Permission for Folder profiles in XML Documentation

Level 3

Hi,

we are trying to provide XML documentation permission to a different user other than admin.

As per the document it says as below (https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/xml-documentation-solution/3-8-6/XML-Documentation-for-A...)

To give a user permission to use the XML Documentation solution’s all capabilities and generate output in a specific format, you can add that user to the Publishers group created by XML Documentation solution. This ensures that the user has full access to all XML Documentation solution publishing functionalities.

After adding the "publishers", the user is able to edit most of the functionalities, but below are a few functionalities which are not working as expected:

I have verified that the user have folder profiles path access (Read & Write)

For testing purposes, I have tried different groups like Authors, Reviewers. also tried providing permissions to the entire /content and tried full permissions at root "/", but no luck.

The user is able to add/edit above functionalities only if he is in administrative group. Could you please let us know if we are missing anything from our end to get the above functionalities work for a non-admin user?

Thanks,

sudheer

7 Replies

Employee

Hi @dvnSudheer ,

Providing edit rights on the folder profiles to a non-admin user - an administrator has to add those users to the Folder Profile as admin user. To do so:

• Login as administrator
  • Browse to the folder profile (Tools > XML Documentation > Folder Profiles > Open the profile you are validating)
  • Click "Edit" on the General tab, where you will notice "Admin Users" field, you can add the publisher user you mentioned and save the change
  • Now, login as the publisher user and try to edit the Folder Profile - you should be able to do this now

This is also documented in the section "Create and configure a folder-level profile" of Installation and Configuration Guide (page 63, refer step #8) 

For editing the snippets in web editor - what is the use case where Publisher has to edit the Snippets? (snippets are meant for authors to author the content) - if that is the intent the Publisher should really be assigned to Authors group.

I hope this answers your queries.

Level 1

Thank you for the steps @DivrajSingh , The above steps did not work for me.

Please find the steps I followed for the permissions

• Create a new user
  • Add the user to publishers group and provide access to the /content/dam folders ( I have provided full access to /content/dam)
  • Navigate to the folder profiles
  • I am not able to see the general tab under global profile (even logged in as admin in my local environment)
  • Created a new Folder profile with path as "/content/dam/sample"
  • Edit the profile
  • Navigate to the admin users and add "sample_user" and save the changes
  • Log back in with the newly created user and still not able to see an option to add conditions and snippets

Regarding the snippets editing, most of the users are both authors and publishers, so we are using publishers to get all the access.

Could you please let me know if we are missing anything from our end?

Attached screenshots for reference: (Groups assigned to the user)

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.16.55 AM.png

Folder Profiles admin users

image.png

Snippets:

Only create snippet from the topic editor is available, once the snippet is created, we cannot modify it. Also we are not able to see a "+" symbol on the snippets to create snippets on fly (admin was able to do this - If this is restricted only to admin users, is it possible to apply this feature for a specific user)

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.28.27 AM.png

Conditions: we are still only able to apply conditions which are already created by the admin user, but we are not able to create new conditions.

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.36.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.36.44 AM.png

  

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.37.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.37.57 AM.png

  

Thanks,

Sudheer

Level 3

Hi @DivrajSingh , by mistake I have accepted the reply as correct and not able to revert it back, could you please check into the issue as per the earlier comments?

Level 3

Hi @DivrajSingh, As per the documentation it seems the access to creation/edit conditions and snippets are also only available for administrators and not authors, I do not see an option to provide it to regular users by adding them to the publishers/authors group.

Below is the information I observed from the document: https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/xml-documentation-solution/3-6/XML-Documentation-for-Ado...

IMPORTANT: The following screenshot is of a user with administrative privileges. 
As a user with administrative privileges, you can add, edit, and delete snippets.
Else, as a normal author, you will only get the options to preview and insert a snippet.

Similarly for Conditions:

IMPORTANT: The following screenshot is of a user with administrative privileges. 
As a user with administrative privileges, you can add, edit, and delete conditions.
Else, as a normal author, you will only get the option to apply conditions.

Snippets are a regular content and an author should be able to create/edit them and depending on the administrator for every change is very difficult. Even for the conditions in general we might have super authors who deal the content and need permissions to create them.

As the XMLEditor is completely a UI functioanlity developed using coral, is there a way we can have any  workaround solution for this to provide access to author/publishers group? or have this kind of feature available in the product?

Employee

Hi @dvnSudheer ,

The notes about administrator being able to edit the content is about users who are power users (authors) who can edit snippets or conditions. These are not the administrators as such. The role administrator is in context of the folder profile where a normal author can be provisioned with the power user permission.

For the actual issue around the users in "authors" group not able to edit content is not reproducible at my end. Do you know if the permissions of "authors" group has been modified for anything?

Level 3

Hi @DivrajSingh ,

I have tried the above behavior on a vanilla instance with below versions in place. No changes are made to the groups.

AEM - 6.5.7

XML Documentaiton - com.adobe.fmdita-6.5-3.6.170.zip

I tried adding both authors and content-authors, but not able to see the Add "+" icon on the snippets. Only able to see snippets which are already created by admin and the options available are preview/insert. Below is a screenshot of the user groups configured for the user. Please let me know if we are missing anything.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.18.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.21.45 PM.png

@dvnSudheer 
Resolution: To provide authors (non-admin) users with Snippet creation permission, the admin user has to add the non-admin users to the folder profile as Admin user.