Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

YOY User Count Report

Level 3
Hi all! I am attempting to build a report that will help me chart out year-over-year growth in terms of our user accounts, as well as being able to filter how many active users and how many deactivated users we had those years, to help determine our trajectory for license needs. I was able to build a report that tells me how many user accounts were created each month for the past few years, and another report that displays the same data but with a YTD filter added, but I can't figure out how to make a chart show me snapshots of how many active users we had total at this time last year, the year before, and so on. I could achieve what I'm looking for if I export over to excel, but I am trying to find a solution that is contained within Workfront, is dynamic, and doesn't require a lot of manual fiddling every time I want an update. Has anyone built something similar? Or am I trying to hit too many birds with one stone? Mike Perez Tailored Brands
3 Replies

Community Advisor
I was asked to create a similar report last year and unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get a monthly or year over year view. Wish I could add something helpful, but I'm watching this thread in case someone else has been more successful! One thing that comes to mind that I haven't tried is to make a User report and filter based on deactivation date somehow... Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 10
Hi Monique and Mike, Cool challenge; and (as sometimes happens), I've now "invested" a couple of hours inventing an Interesting Technique. There is no native historic record of what's in Workfront at any point in time (which is one reason we built our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/workfront-snapshot/">Workfront Snapshot solution), so in order to report the number of Active Users over time using only what is available in Workfront, I'd suggest you redefine the definition of Active and instead report against something that does occur naturally over time. For example... "Active" could be redefined to mean "Assigned to a Task", implying that a User's work is being tracked within Workfront. You could (as I've just done, to test) create an Assignment report with its: View of Assigned To: name, Planned Start Date Groupings in matrix format with Rows of Assigned To: Is Active, Assigned To: Name, columns of Task Planned Start Date, by Year (for you; although in my example, I used quarters, to get some shape -- see below) Filter simply on Task Planned Start Date Less Than $$TODAYeq (end of quarter) to intentionally avoid looking too far into the future, and with no specific restrictions on users, meaning "everyone" (although you could filter by Home Group, etc, to check "pockets" of growth), Chart as a Column Chart, showing the Record Count on the Y-axis, by Task Planned Start Date on the X-axis, Grouping the columns (stacked) by Assigned To: Is Active (which will have the pleasant side effect of showing some degree of attrition, although there is none visible on my example below) When run, the Chart (as below) will show a count of Allocations per period, and the (rising) trend as more people get assigned to more Tasks, which is interesting Perhaps more telling, though -- and closer to what you're after -- is the Matrix tab (as below), which shows a row for each person with a number in each period where they were allocated to start a Task in Workfront..."Active" With a bit more noodling (I tried adding FTE as a column into the mix, but it dinna quite work; but exporting to Excel would work until then), you might even be able to convert the total allocations in each cell to instead be "1", thereby making the horizontal total the number of periods a particular user has been "Active", and the vertical total under each period the (drum roll)... Total Active Users Per Period . Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 3
Wow, this is very clever! Thanks Doug! It took me a while to digest and wrap my head around it, but I see what you've done, and it's awesome stuff! I'll try to play around with it and see if I can manage to achieve that 1-value field you mentioned (I thought perhaps a True/False field might work, but I couldn't find one that will be present on 100% of the tasks guaranteed, so the hunt continues!) Mike Perez Tailored Brands