Expand my Community achievements bar.

Working with/organizing files locally using WF generated numbers

Level 1
Hello, We have a high volume of projects that are similarly named (and similar overall) and in the past we had a sequential numbering system thereby making it very easy to find things. Migrating over to WF, we've lost those sequential numbers, making file storage on our local server a bit of a nightmare. Our project numbers aren't always only numbers and they aren't sequential, which means locating the correct folder/file is complicated. Here's our standard storage process - Each worker has their own job folders for projects they are assigned to. Within their folders, they create a folder with the program number & name (ex. 1700b2 Icon Awards). Reference numbers are at least all numbers, but they drill down to the individual deliverable/project, not to the program as a whole. It would be a giant mess if we had to open folders for each individual deliverable/project (some programs can have 30+ projects). Has anyone else encountered this problem as a result of switching to WF? How do you handle the numbering and organization of your projects? Thank you! Sabrina Pfeiffer SEI Investments Inc.
2 Replies

Level 3
Hi Sabrina, We are in the same boat and are close to implementing our creative projects into WF so needed a way to standardize our naming process. I've ended up making made several calculated fields which I then Concat into a project name. Since you're looking for a way to "group" assets together, I'm wondering if this approach may be helpful given the parent/child relationship and/or asset association you need. For example, I am using the following to provide a project name which the user will then copy/paste. Custom Project Name field: CONCAT(Brand," ",Package Number,"_",Admin Branded Unbranded,"_",Admin Digital Tactic Abbr,Message Number,"_",{Message},"_",Reference Number) The "Admin" fields are nested IF statements which I've hidden in the admin-only section at the bottom of the form-they provide the nomenclature I need to include in the project name field. For example, a project name for the above would be BRANDX 4_BRD_PBE3_Savings_12345. While the reference numbers for the assets won't be sequential (but a key single identifier in the system) you could use something else at the beginning or end of the name to show they are related...? This could probably be done without the additional fields but my experience with combining concat & nested ifs is limited at this point. Hope this helps, Ondina Ondina Sturges Everyday Health Inc

Level 7

Curious what your solution ended up being. We still use the reference numbers and we are in the 6 digits. Soon another department will be coming on and we will move up even faster. It's not going to be a workable solution anymore.