Expand my Community achievements bar.

Workfront slow in lower bandwidth environments

Level 2
Hey folks, has anyone had these issues, I cannot be the only one who travels and has to use WF in reduced bandwidth environments... So I am on travel from Chicago to Switzerland, my company headquarters, to present a project and associated timeline in WF. On my travel, like everyone else, I am in hotels (with their free wifi) and at another company location which rarely has a hard wired connection but either a "guest" connection or a company public connection with slow bandwith than my home base "docked" laptop connection. At the hotel I could barely operate WF but it was painfully slow waiting on responses (and this is only a 150 task project. At the Switzerland Headquarters, the speed was so slow I could not even present the timeline, since with was over 30 seconds to even get mouse responses to work. Are there any strategies within workfront out here in the "hinderlands" to accelerate response times to have meaningful use of the tool? Can I "turn off" some features that "rob bandwidth"? maybe only load so many tasks at one time? Anything at all, maybe turn off document loading? Anything? Michael Kilhefner Medela
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Michael, There are many "https://www.google.ca/amp/s/lifehacker.com/top-10-ways-to-deal-with-a-slow-internet-connection-514138634/amp">general tips for dealing with low bandwidth situations that I'd encourage you to consider, but a few specific Workfront strategies include: add prompts to reports (and show them on dashboards) to avoid loading default data you don't need to see use search > advanced search (same reason) create "light" views for each object type to show only bare minimum columns for smaller data footprints on load If these still aren't enough, I'd recommend raising a ticket with Workfront and (to accentuate your point) use a technique that's served me well: install software that will let you record a video of your screen (eg Jing, SnagIt, etc) open an internet browser showing a clock of the current time beside Workfront (preferably in analog mode with a second hand sweeper) screen capture both, doing what you need to do in WF pause the video whenever there is a long delay This approach keeps the video short, but when played, still conveys the delays because the clock will "jump" over your pauses. And, not unlike the clever techniques built in to the rides at Disneyland, it gives you something to distract you while you are waiting. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
As always I'll go for the lower hanging fruit than DDH :). Workfront recommends using Chrome and I've found Chrome a lot faster and less buggy with Chrome. Not sure it would help your problems. But it's worth a shot if you're not already using Chrome. Doesn't hurt anything. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | Senior IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: 303-628-7262 | c: 303-319-6473 Http://www.denverwater.org Sent via mobile phone