Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

What does "Best Resource Management Solution on the Planet" mean?

Level 2
For those who were at LEAP, you likely recall me saying that Workfront is committing to provide the Best Resource Management Solution on the Planet. I know this because you have shown me video, audio, and transcript recordings as I have visited you. Most of you will also know that resource management is an area that we are passionate about and have as one of our highest priorities. Resource management is an area that we know is critical for all businesses that manage work, whether marketing, PPM, or others. We have worked hard to make sure that the strategy and solutions will resonate across our entire customer base, so we are confident that you will be pleased with the deliveries that are currently planned on the roadmap around resource scheduling. Over the next few days, I will use this area to lay out a lot of our concepts around resource management, the jobs to be done as we see them, and discuss with you how you relate to our vision for resource management. No need to wait on me - feel free to start with your perspective on either your resource management challenges or your thoughts on the resource scheduling capabilities that you have seen recently either as part of Nick McCleery's beta or on the roadmap. - Chris
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

14 Replies

Level 4
Chris, I think Resource Management is a very broad topic with a lot of implications and views based on your role in the organization. And given how broad it is, I think Workfront does a very good job overall of doing Resource Management. I would go as far as to say that it is the best that I have seen. As a project manager, I am focused at managing resources at the Project/Task level and while Workfront does give me options to get realistic resource estimates in the system so that Resource Managers can see impacts to their teams, I think there are probably other capabilities that could be added that would set Workfront apart as THE Resource Management tool in the marketplace. Most of these come from thinking about the topic a way a lot of PM's do, "I hate MS Project, I wish it could do X." Every PM has said that at one point or another because while MS Project does what it does very well, it doesn't do a great job of reflecting the way things work in the real world. I'll give you an example that is one of my biggest frustrations. We have a task for Weekly Project Meetings that sits as the last task on the project in Workfront. Hence their names, these meetings happen once a week for the entire duration of the project. In this case, there is only one unknown (we know how many people are on the task, how long the meetings last, that there is one a week, and what the start date is). The only thing we don't know is Duration. Right now, I create the task, make it the estimated length of the project, add resources, and do the math to figure out how many hours that is (#of weeks x length of meeting x number of attendees). But, that is on day 1. Turns out the project went from 4 months to 5, then 8, then 11. As a result, I am constantly adjusting the Duration (because the Start date is fixed and I don't want that to change), and the number of Planned Hours (so it works out to still showing my standard half hour per week per resource). This also means as the schedule slips, I always have a task that can't be dependent on any of the other waterfalled tasks because it is only dependent on the Start Date. And let me tell you, when a schedule slips 2 months, no PM's first thought is "I need to update that Weekly Meeting task ASAP!" So, that task goes un-updated which means the resource allocations are not accurate past that point. This may seem small, but every PM at our firm has this issue and when a resource is on 30 projects, 30 half hour weekly meetings not reflecting properly in the future add up. My biggest desire from back when I had to run everything from MS Project to now in WF is to have a task that I can be elastic and stretch with the project (connect it to a Project Start and Project Complete milestone) with a fixed amount of hours per week. No matter how much the schedule slips, Joe Smith will have that task with a half hour assigned to him. Now, this was a really long winded way of saying if Workfront wants to be the best, don't take the approach of "let's be sure we can do what MS Project can do." It needs to be sure to take the approach of "let's do what MS Project can't do!" I feel for too long Resource Management capabilities have used MS Project as a baseline and not excelled past it. So, all that gibberish above is to say, look for these types of things. Look for the types of things that have driven people nuts about MS Project for so long they have just accepted it as a battle scar of the job. Get a group of PMs together (in person if you have to) and have everyone sound board off of each other and whiteboard out all the stuff that MS Project has prevented them from doing for years and that can be your differentiator.

Level 10
Hi! Very excited about this topic! :) As Jason said, Resource Mgmt means different things to different roles in the organization. Here are some ideas we have and how we break down Resource Mgmt. Project Manager: For the PM it is about finding an easier way to assign hours to resources on a project at the task level. For example: we get an estimate that says you have 100 hours of a copywriter. The template we use has 150 hours of a copywriter so the PM has to cut 50 hours from different copywriter tasks easily. Before Workfront, a lot of our business units used a spreadsheet with a list of tasks down the left side and the job roles at the top so then they could easily change an manipulate the hours until they match the estimate. In Workfront, they need to click into the assignment column, hit the Advanced Assignment icon, and then check a custom dashboard we added to their layout to see scheduled hours by job role. Resource Manager: To be honest, we think the ideas you have for the new scheduling tool are fantastic! It is visual, easy to use, and the filtering options (and the ability to save them) are fantastic. An issue we could use your help with is though is primary vs other job roles. Because we use templates, we have roles like Art Director and Copywriter. Sometimes though, we need to put someone on a project and they are a Senior Art Director. Now we have setup their Other Roles to be Art Director so we can put them on those tasks. That is not the issue. The issue is… we’d like the RM to have the ability to change the role on the task to Senior Art Director since the Sr. Art Director is a more expensive role and drives up the cost of the project. Currently, the PM would have to go in to each task and change the roles since a bulk edit erases the planned hours. Executives: We’d like to do our Annual SOW planning in Workfront. So we’d like to have an additional hour type for a project. The so you would have SOW hours, Budgeted Hours, Scheduled Hours, and Actual Hours. The idea being that in October of the previous year, I can go in a create project shells for our ideas and put some hours against them. Then when the project is actually ready to be started, the PM and Account person can go in and put in budgeted hours to create an actual estimate of the work. And then as templates and tasks are added, you have the scheduled hours to compare. We have also heard the idea of assigning hours and job roles to a portfolio and then it shows you a balance as you attach projects to that portfolio. For example: Portfolio ABC would have 1,000 of a copywriter attached to it. I’ve added Project 123 (40 hours of copywriter) and Project 456 (100 hours of copywriter) so we’d like it displayed somewhere that I still have 860 hours of a copywriter left to use. Hope this is good start. I’m always available to talk about this more if you want more ideas. ;)

Level 2
Jason, this is great feedback. Thanks for chiming in. I agree completely with your sentiment about thinking past MS project, especially considering things that act more like a repeatable process than a "project". It's kind of you to say that we do resource management well - we certainly appreciate the positive vibes. I'm actually hoping to use this area as a start to see who are the group of PMs who want to start sounding off. I think your example of recurring meetings that span the duration of the project regardless of a change in the project duration is a great one. What are some other areas where you have struggle to have your solutions reflect the way that things happen "in the real world"? Meetings in general seem to be a challenge - they are a known aspect of every employees' work, but it's a challenge to determine how do you apply your knowledge of things like vacation, HR or company meetings, and other real world distractions (funny olympics videos) to a resource plan? I've seen things like estimating based on 1 FTE (full time equivalent) = 0.9 head count or something like that in a few places. It's tough to translate real world availability into actual resource plans. Your thoughts?

Level 2
Hey Anthony, Thanks for jumping on - I was hoping I would see you here! I'd love to dive in on the concept of cost out of the discussion topics (and of course thank you for the feedback on the new scheduling tool). I know that in your world, you guys track cost at an hourly level. I'm curious for others reading the thread how many of you track hours? How many of you relate those hours back to dollars like Anthonly mentions. If you are not tracking hours, how are you relating your projects and work activities back to dollars spent by the business. My assumption is that most people following a strong PMO style of project management are putting business cases together that calculate an ROI. If you aren't tracking actual hours on the project and relating it to cost, how do you prove at the end of the project that you achieved the ROI goals for the project? From Workfront's perspective, our resource management strategy includes the scheduling capabilities that Anthony refers to - I'll try to give a description of that in a later post so that everyone understand the scope. I will also try to give some details around the problems that we want to solve that help you manage resources at an organization level and over longer timeframes and across business boundaries. Appreciate the feedback, Anthony!

Level 2
Hi Chris, I am extremely interested in this topic. Currently, at our company, we are going through growing pains in adopting and using the resource management and financials tracking capabilities of Workfront. So far, I found the discussion here somewhat relevant. We track actual hours billed by resource and/or resource role by project by week or month. Dollars are calculated based on the loaded resource role hourly rates. Your assumption is right that we are putting business case and financials together which ties the project activities to a calculated ROI. During the course of project execution and post-closure, the business benefits are closely tracked. I am hoping to attend the Greater Salt lake Seminar at West Valley City and ask some questions about some of our pain points. Thank you, Gopinath.

Level 2
Hi Gopinath, Thank you for joining the conversation. The user groups are definitely a great place to ask folk how they are solving similar challenges and our product team will have a presence there hopefully to listen to the unique pains you have at Zions. The concept of billing rates is one that we are excited about improvements coming in the application. We know that to make smart decisions around which type of resource and which resource to select, it is critical to understand the availability (which we do pretty well today) as well as the cost and potential revenue associated (an area we are highly focused on improving right now). - Chris

Level 2
Hi Chris, I have question for you. See attached snapshot from Workfront. Seems like a bug which your team might be able to help us fix. Activity # 510, which is assigned to 4 people, simple duration type, so all 4 resources have equal amount of planned hours (125 hours each). However Workfront is using only the task owner’s (Developer - Distributed) rate to calculate the planned labor cost. Is this something you can help with? Thank you Gopinath Jannu CPCM PMP CSM Sr Project Manager, Planning and Delivery Office | Enterprise Technology and Operations ETO ZIONS BANCORPORATION | 2200 South 3270 West | Salt Lake City, UT 84119 e: Gopinath.Jannu@zionsbancorp.com< | ph: 801-844-4236 | m: 801-875-3740 THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE, INCLUDING ANY ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS, IS CONFIDENTIAL and may contain information that is privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are neither the intended recipient nor responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, copying or taking of any action in reliance upon the message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately. Thank you.

Level 2
Hi Gopinath - I'm sorry, but this conversation does not really cover issue triage. Would you mind "https://support.workfront.com" submitting a ticket to support and we'll make sure it gets routed quickly to the right folks? Thanks -Chris

Level 2
As discussed, I want to key in on what we see as the scope of resource management. We've organized our thoughts into several themes. I'll give a quick overview of how we break down resource management: Organizational Capacity Planning - make top down, long term tradeoffs to balance resources, budgets, and business goals; this activity is typiclly done by leaders in the company who are trying to take strategic initiatives they have identified for the next year or longer and see whether they have the resources to support those activities or to determine how many intiatives can be done given the resource constraints to run existing initiatives or keep the business operationally running Resource Planning - What if scenario planning to optimize usage of large sets of resources to achieve planned work budgets, goals, and timeframes; I usually think of this as a resource planning has a fixed set of projects with due dates, and needs to play tetris with available resources to achieve the best results for the business; Resource Scheduling - Match people to work at specific times based on their skill sets and availability; the first phase of this will be available later this year and was referred to by Anthony early in the thread. Cross-Company Resource Management - Incorporate available vendor/partner resources in organizational capacity planning, resource planning, and resource scheduling; essentially, this would be involving multiple instances of Workfront across different companies to execute resource management the way it works in the real world: with contractors, vendors, resource and skill expansion through third parties etc Our observation is that if we can execute on these four themes successfully with a great user experiece including great performance, we will provide the best resource management solution on the planet both for IT PMO organizations as well as marketing groups. I welcome your feedback! Thanks. -Chris

Level 10
Hi Chris, It's unfortunate (and misrepresentative, I suspect) that so few folks discovered this forum within its initial week, but I would like to add a few thoughts to this intruiging thread. To me, the "Best Resource Management Solution on the Planet" adapts elegantly to the ever-changing requirements of the people who rely on it . Workfront has ALWAYS excelled at this concept, which is why AtAppStore selected it many years ago as the platform upon which to stake our business, our reputation, and our future. Our goal is to compliment Workfront's core roadmap by creating solutions that enhance the wider Workfront Community's experience. Ideally, we seek to flange up against Workfront's capabilities but without overlapping our development efforts (too much). To that end, as far as advanced features go, we have focused on a number of items over the past few years, which (for those reading this but who might not realize AtAppStore's position in the Workfront Community yet) include: JITR (Just In Time Resourcing) which is our suite of Capacity Planning and Resource Management offerings Workfront Integrations to simplify and automate data transfers in and out of Workfront Workfront Merge (or Split) services to consolidate (or separate) Workfront instances Our Catalog of over 30 Workfront specific solutions, including Sync Template, Executive Dashboards, and Workfront Snapshots (for disaster recovery, advanced reporting, and/or data warehousing) And very soon, our Draggable Calendar which allows visualizing and manipulating Workfront Task information like never before possible It is our privilege to work with you and your colleagues at Workfront, and we are more excited than ever before to see what we can accomplish together! Regards, Doug

Level 1
Whenever there is talk of resource management it is often in the small, and very detailed. "Bob works on project x 4 hours per day", "Joanne is 60% allocated against project Y". Where I work we do not think of resources in this way, nor do we think resources are fungible. The concept of swapping in one QE for another just doesnt exist or happen in practice. Much of our work is knowledge work, and we tend to rough plan. Will a task be a full sprint or multiple sprints? Can you do more than one task this sprint? Because of this folks often get hung up on the date-driven-ed-ness of Workfront (any PPM tool really). Dates are immaterial in many cases (at least for us) and people prefer to see whats on the backlog, roughly how big it is, and whats the priority. If I were to ask 'Whats makes a product the best resource management solution' our answer would be simplicity and flexibility. Folks here often feel like they are cracking the DaVinci code when it comes to dates in the tool and their interactions with Agile etc. What solutions are on the roadmap for planning of this nature? Can we drop the dates?

Level 1
Chris, In addition to the 3 resource management aspects you listed out (Capacity Planning, resource planning, and resource scheduling), there is another piece I would like to call out, which is gap analysis, what-if analysis and reporting, across these three different resource management phases, allows user to slice the data easily, and report on: - What heads and how many I need hire for the next 2 years? - how did my actual compare with my plan? - what has changed between time A and time B? Adding to what Jason from Mathworks said, it is CRITICAL to allow large enterprise high tech new product development organaizations, to be able to perform capacity plan and resoruce planning at high granularity level. This means to do it at the heads level, at man-month granularity, withou tying to any specific project tasks, or hours. Reason is that in many cases, the schedule and tasks can't be determined upfront when you venture into new technology or product development. Detailed up-front planing/scheduling will most likely turned out to be a waste of time later. Adding cost dollars (3rd party contractors, SOW) in additional to the resident employees (Full time and contract employees) to the resource planning is a good idea.

Level 10
Hi Jason, To answer your higher level questions around " whats on the b acklog, roughly how big it is, and whats the priority" in a manner that highlights where you might run into a pinch on certain resources, I invite you to check out our Project Heatmap solution. Regards, Doug