Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

What browser do you use?

Level 10
We have used Chrome or FireFox to get to WorkFront for a number of years. We do that because WorkFront tech support said that was best. We have had troubles with IE in the past - mostly the browser clocking and nothing rendering. Our IT organization would like to get everyone to use Internet Explorer and stop using Chrome. I'm curious to know what browser you use and if you have any troubles using it. I'm keen to know if you have troubles rendering the Legacy Gantt and/or User Utilization charts. Thanks a bunch! Eric
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

15 Replies

Level 8
Hi Eric, Everyone in our instance uses Chrome. We got notifications from Workfront that they no longer support IE. IE also does not allow full functionality of Workfront (for example you can't drag and drop documents into Workfront in IE but you can in Chrome). Worfront also posted this help article on Software Requirements: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216606648-Workfront-Software-Requirements Hope this is helpful!!!

Level 3
Actually we are using both Chrom and IE. We got trouble on IE lots of times. Per Workfront representative, Chrom is the best for Workfront. We found Chrom is the faster than. Thanks Rahman

Level 6
Our department doesn't support any browser other than IE and we're only on IE10 with a project in the works to upgrade to IE11! However, most of the deparment use Chrome which is clearly superior when using Workfront in terms of speed and showing the website as it's supposed to look! I've pushed to make Chrome our official browser at least for WF purposes but I haven't yet been successful. Laura

Level 10
Thanks, Laura. I'm hearing rather consistently there are speed and rendering issues. Appreciate it! Eric L. Lucas Crowley Maritime Corporation Manager, IT PMO +1 (904) 727-5218 On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 3:38 AM -0400, "Laura Ray" > wrote: Our department doesn't support any browser other than IE and we're only on IE10 with a project in the works to upgrade to IE11! However, most of the deparment use Chrome which is clearly superior when using Workfront in terms of speed and showing the website as it's supposed to look! I've pushed to make Chrome our official browser at least for WF purposes but I haven't yet been successful. Laura -----End Original Message-----

Level 5
We use a blend of Chrome, Firefox and IE. Our enterprise standard at Cleveland Clinic is Internet Explorere and user machines are locked down from implementing other browsers. When we were on IE 9, not that long ago, we had a LOT of problems and convinced our desktop team to work with the security team to find a way to appropriately lock down either chrome or firefox. They went with chrome as an "alternate on request only". Since then, we've updated to IE11. While I personally still have a few browsers for support purposes, I've found IE11 to work pretty well and use it unless there is a specific testing need. As to WF not supporting IE, that is not true, as long as you are current. According the help site, "Workfront officially supports the current browser version and one previous version for Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari . In addition, Workfront will support any previous version that constitutes at least five percent of total Workfront traffic."

Level 10
Thanks, Marty. Do you think there is a performance difference between IE and Chrome? Eric

Level 5
Personally, I've not seen a difference since moving to IE11. Older versions of IE were extremely chatty, causing a lot of overhead and thus slow performance as well as missing funcitonality of the modern brosers.

Level 10
Hi Eric, We've advised our users to use Chrome if they don't have IE11 installed. The company default is an old IE version but they've been upgrading people to IE11 on request and have been rolling it out. I have IE11, Chrome, Firefox and Safari (if I'm using the mac) and I have to say the experience is better in Chrome. With IE11, I also think it's what the company system administrator has allowed that will dictate what you'd experience. Most companies would also lock down add-ons on IE unlike Chrome where you'd have extensions like Stylebot. Cheers.

Level 10
We recommend Chrome to all of our users since it is available. However, IE11 is the standard in our environment. As an admin, I do my primary work in Chrome and keep my IE open for the "Login As" feature so I can jump back and forth. IE11 is quite a bit slower than Chrome for me. Beyond the slowness, I haven't heard of or seen any other problems.

Level 2
Has anyone had problems recently with WF unexpectedly logging them out of IE? We have a couple users experiencing this. We have the inactivity setting set to 8 hours, but people are getting kicked out sooner than that.

Level 4
We currently have all browsers available, however, Firefox is the browser we publicly pushed people towards when we first adopted Workfront. This was not done due to a preference over Chrome with Workfront but rather Firefox was our "preferred alternate browser" to IE 9 for all web apps at the time. Since then, we have upgraded to IE11 (the first project I ran in Workfront!) and Chrome is now a much more widely distributed option, so a mix of all 3 is used across the organization. I still use Firefox out of habit (even though I am Google fanboy) and don't have any issues of note.

Level 7
I'll never understand why an IT group would dictate that IE is required as a browser.

Level 4
In reality, lots of reasons. While there are a lot of applications that don't work well with IE, there are a bunch of others that don't work well with anything BUT IE. A lot of SharePoint-related applications being the biggest example but there are others (a lot of features of our internal Portal site will only work in IE). IE also offers a cleaner ability to do SSO passthrough credentials (you can do it in Chrome/Firefox, but not without GPOs and in some cases 3rd party plugins) Also, you have complete control over patching IE where as Chrome updates when Google chooses to update it. The lack of control can be worrisome, especially if, for example, Chrome has an update that breaks a critical web app and you didn't have the ability to have QA test it because it updated automatically before you even knew it was being installed. Chrome also can be very network unfriendly (it's so fast because it keeps a lot of connections open that IE would traditionally have killed). And while you can control it (while introducing other limitations), the ability to have 3rd party plugins for Chrome and Firefox can create more issues as well (as some of these are malware/spyware). Not trying to be an IE evangelist, just saying from a pure IT perspective, it isn't cut and dry. Some newer, less-legacy oriented companies can completely eliminate IE and good for them. The flip side is I have been at companies that to this day have apps that can't run in IE9 or higher (thank goodness IE11 introduced the Run In mode for these cases). As an avid Chromebook user, would love to be in a Chrome only world, just a lot of places aren't there yet and it is easier to make IE "corporate policy" so that you know what the experience will be.

Level 6
Ditto! Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image002.png@01D23B29.9D0ABBF0]

Level 10
Hi - Why would IT dictate that IE is the browser? In my experience, it has to do with brand loyalty. There are people who swear by Apple products and turn their nose up at Android or Windows or other such products. Some people align themselves with a brand and commit to it. That’s what marketeers want - brand loyalty. The person in our organization, for example, who proposes we get rid of Chrome and FireFox has been marinated in the Microsoft family of products for many, many years. He is amazingly good at getting Microsoft products to work and fixing errors, which is why he is here. Nonetheless, he has obvious brand loyalty driving his recommendation. Just saying… Eric