Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Warning - significant predecessors bug

Level 10
Hi all, I have raised this issue with Support and they are suggesting that we should wait until the new tasks list functionality is released for this to perhaps be fixed. Given that this new functionality has been pulled from 18.3 we would now need to wait for 19.1 so we need to rely on existing buggy code for another several months. I am concerned that this bug can cause significant corruptions of dates in project plans. The bug relates to existing predecessors numbers which are not renumbered on screen when you insert or delete other tasks. Task numbers are renumbered straight away but predecessor numbers are not. You have to remember to manually refresh your screen to have them updated each time you add or remove tasks in your plan. If you instead make edits to the predecessor numbers without refreshing first it will write the old predecessor numbers back into Workfront, thereby removing some predecessors and adding others that you didn't want. I don't get the impression that Workfront want to fix this, but I see it as a significant issue. Please give it a try and if you are also concerned, raise it with Support. David Cornwell
27 Replies

Level 6
We're fairly new to Workfront. I always wondered why the predecessors did not adjust when we added or deleted task, I just took it as how the functionality worked. Now that I'm aware I can let my team know to refresh when removing or adding task, then renumber if needed. Thanks everyone for your insights. Stephen Jonas Manager, Communications Resources & Programs Hawaii Medical Service Association

Level 7
Hello again everyone, I've been working with our internal teams on this some more, as we've seen more feedback roll in on this. We're re-evaluating the scope of this issue, and will be investigating if there is an opportunity for us to provide a fix prior to 2019.1. I can't promise anything at this point in time, but thanks to everyone that has reached out to us, this is back on our radar. If you haven't already, please submit a ticket to support, and we can keep you up to date as we hear information there. Thank you all again, your feedback has been tantamount to us addressing this issue. Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 7
This explains quite a few problems AMs and PMs were experiencing when altering projects. I'll be sure to add to the list when one of my users encounters this in the open. John O'Sullivan GAF

Level 10
Hi all, Workfront have advised us that they have implemented a fix for this, however it is not yet fixed for us. I have seen from a screen recording they sent me that it is indeed working correctly for them, but there is obviously some sort of issue remaining that affects us in our environment. We've done a lot of troubleshooting (obviously clearing cache/cookies and trying other browsers, internet connections etc) and the issue remains in all scenarios. For those of you who also experienced this error, is it now fixed for you or are you still seeing it? Please try a cache/cookies clear if you don't see it as fixed, and then report back here. Thanks! Regards, David Cornwell

Level 2
We received a note last week that it was fixed and it does appear to be working properly in our environment. I was very excited to see this functioning again, as I have been migrating a PM team in a different department from an older system/process and they were struggling with setting up tasks assignments enough as it is. Bree Main General Nutrition Centers, Inc.

Level 3
This fix appears to be in place for us. I just tested, and the predecessors updated without requiring a page refresh. As soon as I inserted the new task, whether I hit "Enter", or just clicked out of the task, the predecessors were updated when the new task was saved. Thanks for the update David. We are apparently not on the list, so we did not receive notification of a fix being in place. Though I think I may hold off notifying our users until it seems to work for everyone. Wayne Wayne Ellyson OH-DAS

Level 10
OK - thanks folks. Ours is still not working....will let you know once we work out why. David Cornwell