Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Using Custom Data from a Task to Calculate at Project Level

Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to use a number input in a custom form at the task level, and then have a calculated form on the project level that sums all of the in progress tasks together. For example, the project is a hotel, that has a total number of rooms. Then some tasks have a certain number of rooms out of inventory. At the project level, I want to be able to have the sum of all the current rooms out of inventory, based on the tasks that are in progress. Does anyone know of a way to do that? I have attached screenshots of my two current custom fields being used. As you can see, for the calculated field at the project level I have no instructions yet, as I don't know how to do it :)

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 2
Hi Brooke, Unfortunately what you are asking about isn't possible via a custom field. For the most part, you are constrained to data of the same Type. Example: A Project can see other custom fields of a Project, but a Project can't always see the fields of its Tasks. A good example is Parent objects. A Task can see simple objects from its parent (a Project), and it's own Task fields. This is because a Task will only have one Parent. A Project can have many Tasks, so the " Task.something " reference can't be resolved. Here is an example using a Parent object: Let's say I have a Project named "Hotel A" with a custom field named " Hotel Inventory Count " set at 500 (Number). I can then use a custom field on a Task to say " Project.Hotel Inventory Count " to see the count set on the "Hotel A" project. So, we can combine that with a "Rooms Used" custom field (Number) on a task, and get the calculation at the Task level. The Calculation would be " SUB(Project.Hotel Inventory Count,Rooms Used) " where Project.Hotel Inventory is the custom field on the Project level, and Rooms Used is the custom field on the Task level. Our support page that discusses this can be found "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/230741447-Referencing-Project-Custom-Field-on-the-Issue-or-Task">here . I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I wanted to include some other ideas for solving this problem. Another possible solution would be to use the reporting feature to get a quick overview of the current usage of the hotels. I included a screenshot of an example I put together. Thanks! [Edits for formatting]