Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Updates

Level 1
We're having an update conundrum. Where to post them - on the task, on the project, on the document? If you put an update on a task, it rolls up to the project, but it doesn't seem to specify which task it's posted on (I swore it used to have a blue subhead above the update telling you which task the update was made on, but I'm not seeing that anymore). Is there a setting we can edit so that the project updates tab includes the location of any task updates? Is there a way to have document updates show up on the project updates tab? We're finding that those document updates easily get lost in the shuffle if they don't show up at the project level. Sabrina Pfeiffer SEI Investments Inc.
12 Replies

Level 2
Sabrina - You are correct. The Task updates that roll up to the Project updates used to show the task name. That is really concerning that the tie from the task to the project updates is now lost. Document updates - You are correct that they do not populate to the Project updates feed. This was something that I think I put into the Idea Exchange. If updates are made on documents it is virtually impossible to go back and find them. Shelly Long Pier 1 Imports

Level 2
Hi Sabrina, After looking through a couple of different test instances and the workfront support website, it seems the update roll up hierarchy follows the below: Object of Original Comment Object on which the Original Comment Rolls Up Issue Project Task Project Project Program, Portfolio Program Portfolio User Team Timesheet User, Team Template Task Template Story Iteration, Team Iteration Team It also lists that any document updates would not be displayed in parent tasks or projects. The original design was created to limit the amount of email notifications that are sent out to different users. i.e. a project owner would not receive a notification every time a task update comment is posted. I would recommend to post update comments to individual tasks so the users in charge of those tasks can be notified, but beyond that, it would depend on your users and organizational structure. I hope this helps! Rob Lawrence Bond Group

Level 2
Rob - Do you know when they removed the "task" reference when task comments roll up to the project updates? I can see where losing that link could become painful for the users. Shelly Long Pier 1 Imports

Level 2
Im not sure. I am reaching out to my internal team to see when this was last used and look at putting this on the idea exchange possibly. Ill update again once I hear back. Rob Lawrence Bond Group

Level 4
With the loss of the link to the source object, the project-level update stream has become stream of consciousness... This is a fairly recent, most inconvenient change. I opened a support ticket for an official response. ~Jeff Jeff Rieth Fujifilm Medical Systems

Level 9
Yes, taking away the link to the task when viewing updates at the project level has made it very confusing. Drew Conklin Reliant

Level 4
You can always force your own hierarchy by using notes reports. I've done notes reports based on tasks and separate reports based on updates to documents and placed them together on a project level and task level on-object dashboard. You can then group them by tasks/documents/parent tasks/date/etc -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 8
Hi - Does anyone know if bringing back the links in the project updates stream is already an idea in the idea exchange? Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures

Level 3
I put in a support ticket and here is the response I received: “This is something we are working on at the moment. I was informed that a fix was found and it should be rolled out very soon. I will provide you an update as soon as I get an update that the fix has been rolled out.” Shelly Long, PMP, CSSGB Traffic Manager Pier 1 Imports 817.252.8563 srlong@pier1.com If your request can be made in Workfront, please do not send an email.

Level 8
I just heard back from Workfront, and a patch will be applied tonight to fix this problem.

Level 10
I can see a task name above the update now. Looks like it's been sorted. Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 10
I can see a task name above updates now. It looks like it has been sorted now. Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD