Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Total hours by Role

Level 2
Hello all, I am trying to create a report that shows total hours by role. Seems simple enough but I can't figure out how to do it. I can create a report that shows each task a role is assigned to with the planned hours and that is great but I need another report that just show all hours on a project for each role in total not broken down showing all the tasks. Anyone done this? thanks
13 Replies

Level 10
Hi Layne I’d start with an Assignment object. It has planned hours and roles in there. Be sure to only look at tasks with Number of Children = 0. I assume you only want to look at one project, is that correct? Eric

Level 10
Are you looking for a graph (roles on the X-Axis, Hours on the Y-Axis)? [cid:image001.jpg@01D2B905.6E5EFE60] A summary? Name Count Planned Hours Job Role: Name: Analyst - Support 4 Sum: 28.55 Hours Job Role: Name: Architect - Technical Solution 6 Sum: 54.3 Hours Job Role: Name: Business - Employee Unspecified 4 Sum: 0 Hours Job Role: Name: Consultant - Field Services 1 Sum: 0 Hours Job Role: Name: Consultant - Unspecified 6 Sum: 0 Hours Job Role: Name: Engineer - Network 7 Sum: 38.88 Hours Job Role: Name: Manager - Strategic Sourcing 2 Sum: 27.5 Hours Job Role: Name: PMO Analyst 5 Sum: 7.5 Hours Job Role: Name: Placeholder - Contractor Labor 31 Sum: 13.33 Hours Job Role: Name: Placeholder - Crowley Internal Labor 1 Sum: 1 Hour Job Role: Name: Project Administrator 2 Sum: 46.75 Hours Job Role: Name: Project Manager (Contractor) 1 Sum: 0.75 Hours Job Role: Name: Project Manager (Crowley) 51 Sum: 358.38 Hours Job Role: Name: No Value 2 Sum: 0 Hours Total: 123 Sum: 576.95 Hours I created an Assignment report with these attributes: [cid:image002.jpg@01D2B905.6E5EFE60] And then I created a filter that picks up the project I’m interested in. Does that help? Eric

Level 2
I want to have a report, grouped by project, that shows all roles and the total number of hours for each role. So for instance, I want to have a list grouped by each project, showing all roles involved with each project (Account Management, Digital Producer, Creative Lead, etc….) and the total number of hours assigned to them, based on all the tasks for each project. I then created a custom form where I can input the total hours input during the quoting process. This way, I can do a comparison between total hours quoted (based on input from custom form), planned hours based on total hours in workfront (based on tasks assigned in WF) and actual hours logged (based on hours logged to each task.) Does that make sense? thanks

Level 10
Yes, we have created a few reports to show Scheduled Hours by Job Role. Are you looking at this by project? or for all roles in your instance? Let me know what you're looking for and I can share what we've done.

Level 2
For all roles grouped by each project. So for: project x - Account has 10 hours, Digital producer has 5 hours, Creative lead has 3 hours, etc… project y - Account has 24 hours, Digital producer has 21 hours, Creative lead has 17 hours, etc… project z - Account has 43 hours, Digital producer has 14 hours, Creative lead has 23 hours, etc… Make sense?

Level 5
For actual hours, do an hour report and group by role. For planned hours, I'm not sure On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM Layne Hedrick < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > Hello all, I am trying to create a report that shows total hours by > role. Seems simple enough but I can't figure out how to do it. I can > create a report that shows each task a role is assigned to with the planned > hours and that is great but I need another report that just show all hours > on a project for each role in total not broken down showing all the tasks. > Anyone done this? > > thanks > > -----End Original Message----- >

Level 2
Yeah, I already have a report doing actual hours but thanks anyway.,

Level 10

Yes. This is the report we use (see attached), keep in mind - you need to have a Resource Pool attached to the project. It's a Resource Allocation report type, with Columns "Allocation Date" and "Scheduled Hours". (You can ignore the External Ref ID column, that is related to our SAP integration); grouped by Job Role and Project Name in a matrix report.0690z000007ZicfAAC.jpg

Level 2
That looks very interesting. How exactly did you build it. I went to create a new report but did not see anything about resource allocation report type. We do have a pool that is attached to each project so that might work Thanks so much.

Level 10
Sorry, the report type = Resource Estimate. When you do the groupings, select "switch to matrix grouping" and for your row grouping, use Job Role>Name; and for your column grouping use Project>Name. Then go into the Matrix settings and uncheck both the Show Record Count and Show Value column. See attached screenshot. We have the report included in a dashboard attached to the layout template we assign to PM's (Customize Tabs> when a person with this template looks at: 'A Project' view), so it runs for the project you are looking at. Hope that helps!

Level 2
Ok, that is a great place for me to start. Thank you so very much for your help.

Level 2
By the way, what does view record count actually do. For some reason it will not allow me to uncheck it. thanks again.

Level 10
Sorry - I missed a step which will allow you to uncheck the Record Count. On the Columns View tab, select the Sched Hours column, then under Column Settings, select "Sum" for "Summarize this Column By". See updated attachment.