Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

The Case of the Disappearing Popup

Level 10

In NWE, when a popup (e.g. to type in the name of a new filter, setting up a custom tab, etc.) comes up, despite trying to avoid doing so, I often inadvertently move my mouse pointer outside of the popup, which then closes without performing the save, forcing me to to start again. Presumably this is intentional (perhaps under the looks-good-on-paper idea of "saving me the trouble of cancelling"), but since it is contrary to the definition of a popup, I thought I'd take a poll here.

Is anyone in favor of this automatic disappearance behavior (vs having the popup stick around until it is intentionally either saved or cancelled)?

Regards,

Doug

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 2

Fight this regularly in the New User screen! Agree, I would much rather prefer that I get to save or cancel versus the popup just disappearing and having to start over.

Good call out!

Level 6

Doug - I agree, this is really annoying behavior. It happens inside Fusion, too. I've had the opportunity to redo build multiple times.

Level 10

Does anyone remember that prank app from back in the 90's where it would create a popup that would move everytime you tried to click it? This is akin to that app, appropriately placed in the "WTH were you thinking?" category.

Community Advisor

Very annoying. I constantly experience the disappearing pop-up both with the New User screen and when I'm editing a report and in the Report Setting screen updating the report name or description.

Level 7

I completely agree @Doug Den Hoed‚ . I would prefer to get a save or cancel button instead of disappearing. I have lost a bunch of info and have had to start over again. Super frustrating.

Administrator

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have submitted a bug request to our Product team. For some additional clairty, are any of you able to provide a screenshot or video of this undesired behavior? I think this will help them address the issue more efficiently as well as check how widespread of a bug it is. Appreciate it and let me know if you have any questions! @Sarah Wilkerson‚ @Heather Kulbacki‚ @Randy Roberts‚ @Jason Blunk‚ @Kelli Mortimer‚ @Doug Den Hoed‚

Certainly Jonathan,

This PopUpExample.mp4 video show how moving outside a popup (i.e. adding a custom tab, in this case) closes the popup without warning, forcing the user to start over. Relatively trivial effort in this case, but Quite A Big Deal in others. And frustrating, either way.

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

The same or similar behavior happens whenever I try and post a megaphone on a One article. So if this is a bug it's contaminated the Community.

Employee

@Doug Den Hoed‚ Thanks for bringing this up! Yeah, this is totally annoying and goes against basic usability. We're looking at the ticket @Jonathan Chen‚ submitted. The correct behavior when dismissing a modal window like this (when a user provides any kind of information) is to prompt with a confirmation such as "Are you sure?" or disallowing the dismissal unless an explicit "Save" or "Cancel" is used. We're working on a fix, but that's what you should expect in these situations.

@Skye Hansen‚ LOL, must be the way bugs are spread. Wish I could account for the usability of the community platform.

Thanks Jesh; sounds great.

To me, either adding an Are You Sure alert or (ideally) forcing the popup div to effectively be modal by ignoring any mouse events outside its bounds until I deal with the popup via save or cancel would be highly preferable to the current don’t stray outside the lines behavior.

When the time comes for some Homer Simpson user observation / acceptance testing, just say D’oh!

Regards,

Doug