Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Task Report with Filters on Task Last Note Owner ID and Project Last Note Owner ID

Level 2
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a task report which displays tasks that are awaiting $$USER.ID approval. There are multiple approvers on the task. We have a user who has has been Rejecting the task approval when she has a question for the project owner. The problem here is that if any approvers have already approved and she rejects it, the entire approval has to start over from scratch because one person had a question. We have been training her to submit an Update with her question instead of rejecting and she is now doing that. However, the problem here is that she wants the items to drop off of her report if there is an outstanding question that has not been answered. I'm able to put a filter on the report so that if the Last Note Owner ID = $$USER.ID, it will not show the record. This works if she posts the question under the Task Updates. However, the problem is that I can't control whether she posts it under Task Updates or Project Updates, so I need to be able to filter based on whether she entered the last Task Note or Project Note. I'm using the code below to filter out the Task Updates. awaitingApprovalStepApproversMM:userID=$$USER.ID awaitingApprovalStepApproversMM:userID_Mod=in lastNote:ownerID=$$USER.ID lastNote:ownerID_Mod=notin lastNoteID_Mod=notblank project.lastNoteID_Mod=notblank project:categoryID=5bd9e4ff0136278823f55b083d3ea08b project:categoryID_Mod=in project:status=CUR project:status_Mod=in I try to add the filter based on Project Last Note: awaitingApprovalStepApproversMM:userID=$$USER.ID awaitingApprovalStepApproversMM:userID_Mod=in lastNote:ownerID=$$USER.ID lastNote:ownerID_Mod=notin lastNoteID_Mod=notblank project:lastNote:ownerID=$$USER.ID project:lastNote:ownerID_Mod=notin project.lastNoteID_Mod=notblank project:categoryID=5bd9e4ff0136278823f55b083d3ea08b project:categoryID_Mod=in project:status=CUR project:status_Mod=in but Workfront just returns an error that says: I can pull this field into the report in a column, so I think I'm doing this right. But why can I not filter on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trish Sparkman DXC
1 Reply

Level 8
Dear Trish, Basically, you're trying to go four 'hops' - from task, to project, to last note, to owner. While you can get four hops in a column, you can only do three hops in a filter. To go beyond that, you need to use EXISTS. The details on this can be found at: https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Create-Complex-Text-Mode-Filters-Using-EXISTS-Statements-... So you need to replace the two highlighted lines with: EXISTS:A:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS EXISTS:A:$$OBJCODE=PROJ EXISTS:A:ID=FIELD:projectID EXISTS:A:lastNote:ownerID=$$USER.ID Note that if any other reviewer/approver ALSO posts a question, this logic won't work as your person is no longer the author of the last note, even though the last note isn't answering their question. It also means if the project owner replies "I'm not sure. I'll check and get back to you" or anything similar, the approval will appear back in their list. I would think training the user to only post updates on the task would be a more robust solution. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia