Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Task Hours Distributed across Mulitple Months - Matrix Reporting

Level 2
I have a matrix task report that shows total hours grouped by resource name and then project name (row groupings). The task hours are then grouped by the month of the task due date across the top of the report (column grouping). However, some of our tasks span multiple months and this report shows all of the planned hours for these tasks under the month of the due date instead of evenly distributing the hours across all months. Ideally, we would like the report to evenly distribute the hours across the months from the start date to the end date. One solution would be to create sub tasks that break down the hours further and don’t span multiple months, but I wanted to know if there is a reporting solution before we have to update the resource plans. Any suggestions/insight would be helpful - thanks!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 5
You can do an hours report for tasks in this project Hours entry date is the date the hours were performed and is your best bet for matrix reporting by date. On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM Amanda Modica < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > I have a matrix task report that shows total hours grouped by resource > name and then project name (row groupings). The task hours are then grouped > by the month of the task due date across the top of the report (column > grouping). However, some of our tasks span multiple months and this report > shows all of the planned hours for these tasks under the month of the due > date instead of evenly distributing the hours across all months. Ideally, > we would like the report to evenly distribute the hours across the months > from the start date to the end date. > > One solution would be to create sub tasks that break down the hours > further and don’t span multiple months, but I wanted to know if there is a > reporting solution before we have to update the resource plans. > > Any suggestions/insight would be helpful - thanks! > > -----End Original Message----- >

Level 2
Thanks, Melinda. Is there a way to create an hours report for the planned task hours? Amanda

Level 2
Hi Amanda - I am creating a similar report and would like to use planned hours as well. Did you ever figure this out? My report has projects as rows then weeks/resources as columns. I am new to this so I am not sure I can get what I want. thank you - Celeste [Celeste] [DiDio] [] [] [PwC] [Tampa] [Fl] [813-373-0748]

Level 10
Hi Celeste and Amanda, The only way you can get a daily breakdown via a regular report is if you are working with Actual Hours. If you want to create your own report on planned hours, as you've already found, you can only sum by tasks' start/end dates rather than having a daily distribution of the planned hours. Tasks spanning weeks/months cause issues, though I prefer not to have people butcher their task plans just to make reporting work. The Legacy Resource Planner does give you the daily breakdown of planned hours, but it is not flexible in terms of row/column groupings. It also does not show values of hours if daily contouring has been done...it just shows the average planned hours on each day. The new Resource Planner is meant to give you the daily breakdowns of contoured hours, however due to a bug it fails to load users' planned hours so we can't use it. If you don't have much Workfront data yet, it might work for you, but for larger customers with more data it doesn't work. There is also a way to get the contoured planned hours data out via the API, and report on it outside of Workfront. That's on my to-do list. If Workfront product management are reading this, we would really like to be able to report on the daily contoured planned hours - ideally not just in the resource planner (once that's working). Regards, David Cornwell

Level 4
Amanda and Celeste, I agree with David and this has been a major struggle over the years. I have finally submitted what I believe is a solve for this in the idea exchange. The addition of "Allocation Date" on a task report. You can see how Allocation Date works by creating a Project Financial Data Report or a Resource Estimate Report but neither one of those reports will show the hours assigned to a person. If you like this option can you go up vote for me? Here is the link: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360001055154-Allow-Allocation-Date-to-be-used... I would love the receive any feedback on this idea as well. Thanks! David Taylor - moventus davidtaylor@moventus.net 303-519-5238