Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Task completion percentage roll up

Level 2
Good morning I have a question that the community may be able to help me with. Say I have a Task with two sub tasks Make tea Boil kettle Pour hot water in the cup At present the "Make tea" shows as 0% until both sub tasks are complete. Is there way of rolling up the progress so if say "Boil kettle" is 100% then show "Make tea" as 50% complete? Thank you in advance Allan Ruan Allan Ruan NEL CSU
6 Replies

Level 1
In loading the subtasks the duration is 0, until you change this to 1 or more, the parent will always 0%. Michael Laing Atlas Copco Drilling Solutions LLC

Level 7
Hi Allan, Michael is spot on, but I wanted to clarify a bit. The percent complete can be based off duration or planned hours, depending on what you have set up in Setup -> Project Preferences. If it's duration, it'll go off the duration of the subtasks. If it's planned hours, it'll go off of when the task is completed, but only if the planned hours are filled out. To take your example and provide depth to it, look at it as follows: Make tea - 2h duration, 2 planned hours Boil kettle - 1.5h duration, 1.5 planned hours Pour hot water in the cup - .5h duration, .5 planned hours, predecessor of Boil kettle Seeing as we have both the duration and planned hours filled out, it would work either way. However, we could set the durations to 0d, and keep the planned hours, and if your settings in Setup are configured off planned hours, it would show 0% until both subtasks are complete. Conversely, if we keep the duration and remove the planned hours, it'll show 75% complete when Boil kettle is completed. To top it off, if the setting in Setup is set to planned hours, it's exactly opposite. I hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Well said, Dustin. And Allan, despite that advice, as we all know: if you watch the kettle, it will never boil. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Thank you so much for explaining it so simply. Much appreciated. Allan Allan Ruan South East CSU

Level 2
One other question, the global setting for Calculate Percent Complete Based on.. is either Planned hours or Duration. Is there way some projects use Planned hours and some set to Duration? Thank you again for all your help. Allan Allan Ruan South East CSU

Level 7
Hey Allan, It's a global setting for all projects, there's not a way to split it among projects, sorry! That however, would make a fantastic idea for the Idea Exchange..! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront