Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Tagging hidden on Updates

Level 1
Why can you no longer see who is tagged on updates? When there are multiple updates to one topic you only see the group who was originally tagged at the bottom. If I don't tag anyone it looks the same as if I tagged everyone or just a few people. Philip Bower Fossil
20 Replies

Level 4
Hi Philip, I wonder if they changed that so that when you reply it's more clear as to who will get notified of the response. Is this change causing an issue or confusion with your users? Daniel Cooley Kenall

Level 5
@Philip Bower , I agree it is a problem! The change as actually made it less clear who is tagged in the update resulting in needing to retag everyone again to ensure no one is missed. Alternatively, my co-System Admin also said - "have you noticed how you can only see who is tagged in the comment chain at the very bottom of the chain and as soon as you start to type a reply you can't see it anymore? So if you finish typing an update and then want to make sure the right people are tagged you can't see it, you have to copy your comment to the clipboard, cancel out to see and then start again." In either case it is frustrating and causes re-work. I hope the right Product Manager finds this discussion chain. I am also going to look in the Idea exchange to see if anyone has logged the issue itself. Tracy Fox Project Manager / Workfront SysAdmin Sykes Assistance Services Corporation

Level 3
Phillip - Thank you for posting within the community. I opened a ticket last week to see if this could get resolved. Having the transparency to see who and when each update is being made is a must. It has started to cause problems within some of our marketing workgroups. Workfront Support told me though "It is working as designed and to open a feature request." So I did. Tracy - Thank you for your update. Idea Exchange - "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360014630873-Update-Stream-Tagging-transparency-" Update Stream: Tagging transparency Chris Thygersen Columbia Sportswear

Level 2
Thank you! Our project managers are going crazy because they can't take themselves off update strings they don't need to see, and they can't take folks off who don't need the update (but take time to reply with unneeded info). Between this change and the notifications for every proof comment, they're getting so many notifications, it's no longer helpful. Jenny Hill PacificSource Health Plans

Level 10
Yeah this is bad. I up voted your Exchange Idea, but is that the ticket you were talking about? I'd like to open a Support ticket as I think this is more of an Issue than an enhancement. Especially when existing functionality was removed. I'll open a ticket, but wanted to make sure it wasn't already out there already.

Level 4
I completely agree! Several people on our Creative Media Team have reached out to me to ask Workfront to fix this!! This has not been a change that has helped productivity, transparency or communication!! I started a ticket as well and devinbond (Workfront Customer Support) pointed me to this post. I sure hope it gets fixed SOOOON! "The updates section is not showing who is tagged in the conversations when you add a comment. There is no way to find out who is on the conversation by scrolling up to the top or by looking at the bottom (when you've already started to type)." Lori Meek LifeChurch.tv

Level 1
Agreed! It's been an issue also. Thanks, Lisa Lisa Branson LC Creative Media

Level 1
I agree this is an issue. I hope they fix it soon, to where we can once again see who is tagged at each stage of the conversation, and we can see who is tagged while we are typing our response, and not only after we've hit reply. It was great the way it was before. Katherine Fedor Life.Church Creative Media

Level 5
We have complained about this as well. Help this issue get some visibility. I went on the idea exchange and voted for this. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360014630873-Update-Stream-Tagging-transparency" title="https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360014630873-Update-Stream-Tagging-transparency">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360014630873-Update-Stream-Tagging-transparen... Algernon Browne WebMD

Level 1
This has continued to be a major issue for our Traffic team and anyone replying to a message. Another defect with this update is that when you reply to a comment it hides everyone who was tagged in any of the messages because of the way the reply box comes up. I have long advocated for a reply all feature on an update or at least some type of check box that appears with all names who are associated with the project. Philip Bower Fossil

Level 3
We have noticed this too and I hope it gets fixed. I am not thrilled with any of the changes made on the Update panel. It seems like I need more clicks to post updates or log time from that panel. Mark Hahn SEI Investments Company

Level 2
Thanks for the feedback on this! With the 18.2 release we introduced both new styling for the updates stream and modified how inline editing works. Because of changes made to inline editing, with this first iteration of the style update for update stream we do not display tagged people during a reply. We are planning to add this feature functionality to the reply area as part of a future iteration that is on our current roadmap. Thank you, Chandler Smoot Product Manager Workfront

Level 1
Thank you for the update Chandler. It is good to hear that this is on your roadmap. In the meantime it is hurting our user adoption and causing some major communication issues for our core teams who use WF. Can you provide any insight to what that roadmap looks like and if this can be escalated. I think you can see from the community that this a concern for several companies and a major miss. Thanks Philip Philip Bower Fossil

Level 1

Friends! This is an awesome topic to raise up. I get to work closely with Chandler and our product teams. Those folks are working round the clock to give you all the best experience possible when managing your work. While they work to enhance the update stream, I thought I could bring some clarity (and a bit of levity) to how the update stream functions today. New Updates made will show the person's name in a larger, bold font. If the person posting this original update tags other people or teams, they will be seen below the comment. Anyone tagged in this original update will automatically be tagged in future responses to this thread. Replies to the thread will show the user's name in a smaller, regular font. Their name and the comment are indented from the original post. All users previously part of the thread will automatically be tagged on these responses so there is no need to "re-tag" those users. If you want to add additional people or teams, you can tag them. They will also automatically be added to future responses. I have attached a screenshot of a sample thread that shows this update structure. Hopefully this helps in the interim while our Product teams work on enhancements and hopefully brings a smile (or at least a smirk) to your awesome Workfrontin' faces! May the Force be with you, always. Matt Bro Matthew Broschinsky Workfront0690z000007ZiFHAA0.png

Level 1
So are you saying that anyone in the thread will automatically be tagged and emailed even if you don't tag them again when making an update to a thread? Because I am not seeing that functionality. Philip Bower Fossil

Level 5
Matthew Broschinsky In your example, (other than being the author), how you do know Lando was only included on the last message in the update string? Since the tagging line only shows at the bottom, part of the issue (that raised the ticket & Idea exchange) is that it isn't clear when people are included and therefore can't be held accountable when they say "well you didn't tag me until now". Further, how is a user supposed to remember who was tagged in the update stream if the list disappears when commenting? In the image below, you can see the list of tagged users before choosing to comment. Then in the second image, once you open the update box to comment, you no longer can see the list of users. Where updates contain many users, how is one supposed to remember who was on the list originally and who needs to be added? Tracy Fox Project Manager / Workfront SysAdmin Sykes Assistance Services Corporation

Level 1
Tracy, solid question and I realize that this is the basis of the concern. To your point, its not clear who all of the tagged people are. If you need to validate all of the tagged users, you can reference the email notification that is sent out when a new comment is made. It shows all of the people tagged in that specific thread. See below for the email notification that the team received: My hope was to provide some insight into how the update stream functions today, knowing that our Product team is working to enhance the functionality in upcoming releases. Matthew Broschinsky Workfront

Level 1
Phillip, If those people were tagged previously in the same thread, then they should receive an email notification when a new comment is made to the thread. If that is not occurring for some users, I'd suggest checking the global notification settings and then their personal notification settings to see if they have set any notifications to be sent in a daily digest or turned off completely. If all the notifications are turned on and set to Instant, this would be a separate issue to raise with Support. Matthew Broschinsky Workfront

Level 10
I just want to chime in and agree with this issue. It's really a problem and my people are definitely missing updates because the user isn't totally clear on who is on the thread; assumptions aren't always correct. In fact, I don't even get a notification when I send an Update; I only receive the ones that other people have tagged me in. I hope this is high priority for WF as everyone relies on this feature for clear communication. Jill Ackerman

Level 5
Hi Chandler, Thank you for clarifying Workfronts thinking on this topic. We just adopted Workfront at the beginning of this year and so far the process for Workfront rolling out updates have been less than stellar. It seems there is a distinct lack of a user feedback/QC process before updates are rolled out. Updates should be solving issues and making the software better not making it more frustrating for the users. Aileen Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology